PianoMan virus is a harmful threat that targets MS Office files. When executed on the PC, this malware will look for .DOC, .XLS, .PPT files and render them useless. Files infected can be easily spotted because the virus adds characters “PianoManCorrupt” at the end of file name.
Attackers are using various methods to spread the PianoMan virus. Mostly, the harmful code is embedded to files that you may download from file-sharing networks. There are a number of legitimate program like games, tools, utilities, and the like that were infected with PianoMan malware. It is still safe to download files from official web sites. Additionally, people behind PianoMan virus uses social media sites to publish a link that may lead to the infection. These links may attract you by posing as interesting topics. Spam email messages containing PianoMan virus attachment is also observed to be flooding the net recently.
Removing PianoMan virus from the computer can be completed with the scan of various security products. It is also vital that you scan the computer while Windows is running on Safe Mode to prevent the virus from loading and perform its tasks such as disabling security programs and blocking access to compromised files.
How to Remove PianoMan Virus
Stage 1: Remove Rootkit and Virus from the Computer
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit, malware as well as threat like PianoMan. The tool is powerful enough to find malicious items that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from this page. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
2. Once the download completes, double-click the file to install the program on the computer. It will update the database once installation has finished. Internet connection is required at this point.
3. After downloading necessary updates, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
4. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus. The tool reveals items that were found linked to PianoMan. It also detects and removes other malicious files.
Stage 2: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds PianoMan and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 3: Double-check for PianoMan’ leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for PianoMan. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all PianoMan entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that PianoMan have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
How to repair files corrupted by Pianoman virus
Disclaimer: Please use this tool at your own risks. This program is provided ‘as-is’ without warranty of any kind.
1. Download the Repair Tool from zimtable.com
Recovery Tool Download Link (This will open on new window)
2. Install VS_Pianoman_Fixa on the computer using the default configuration.
3. When done with the install process, look for the VS_Pianoman_Fixa folder or icon and run the program.
4. This tool will give you two options on cleaning files corrupted by Pianoman, ‘Single’ and ‘Batch Process’. The later is ideal to fix multiple files inside a folder.
5. Recovered file will be placed on the same folder with the corrupted one. When you first open the file, you may get a warning that it needs to be repaired by MS Office program, click Yes to continue.
6. After recovering the file, you may now uninstall VS_Pianoman_Fixa through the Control Panel.