Pastamoot belongs to a network that specializes in software distribution. An application it deploys may includes adware and potentially unwanted program (PUP). On its official website, Pastamoot claims to enhance browsing experience by applying optimized process resulting to faster downloading of files. Initially, Pastamoot was designed to monetize software distribution and installation. Its task includes dispersal of software collection by embedding them into a single installer file known as software bundle.
Most of the time, Pastamoot itself arrives on the computer alongside other PUP’s. On this software bundle, some are useful, but there are also adware that can cause harm on your Mac system. This distribution scheme is so far the most effective way for Adware makers to promote their product. On the other hand, Pastamoot owners grab this opportunity to make some online revenue.
Once Pastamoot is installed on Macintosh computer, it immediately loads the entire package including adware. Users are commonly not aware of this because of stealthy installation scheme progressing in the background. Pastamoot not only loads unwanted programs, this adware is more concern on altering settings of Safari, Firefox, and Google Chrome. Thus, do not be shock if homepage is occupied with Search.pastamoot.com search engine. This also occurs on new tab and startup pages.
Because several unwanted programs are added, Mac computer may suffer from sluggishness. Pastamoot will affect overall system performance and sometimes cause software crashes. Hence, we highly suggest immediate removal of this adware. Please execute the guide below in exact order to ensure complete removal of Pastamoot.
Online Security Scanner Report for pastamoot.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Mar. 18, 2018|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Mar. 18, 2018|
Procedures to Remove Pastamoot Adware from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Pastamoot
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the procedure depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Pastamoot, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed Pastamoot
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder…
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. It is normally an unfamiliar file name such as the following:
– Pastamoot, InstallMac, Genieo, Inkeeper
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Pastamoot to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
Optional: For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to Pastamoot.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Pastamoot.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Pastamoot is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Remove Pastamoot from Safari Home Page and Search
1. Open Apple menu and select Force Quit. You can also press Command + Option + Esc on the keyboard to access this feature.
2. From the list of applications, select Safari, and then click on Force Quit button. Wait for Safari browser to close.
3. Now, hold down Shift key and launch Safari. Do this to avoid opening any unwanted window from Pastamoot.
4. Go to Safari Menu and then select Preferences from the list.
5. On Default search engine section, select the desired search engine from the list to override Pastamoot custom search engine.
6. Next, make sure that “New windows open with” is set to Homepage. Adware may alter this and set it to open to unwanted webpage.
7. Then, on Homepage field, type the URL of your desired Homepage.
Optional: Reset Safari Browser
If the above procedures did not help in eliminating Pastamoot on your Safari browser, resetting it to default value may be the best solution. Be aware that there is no way to reverse this process once executed.
1. Go to Safari Menu. Select Reset Safari from the list. This will open a window showing applicable items.
2. It is better to maintain the pre-selected items.
3. Click on Reset button to totally clear all the configurations made by Pastamoot. Please restart Safari browser.