There is a reason to suspect that the affected internet software is under the control of adware when the browser program begins to display a substantial volume of advertisements, notably bothersome pop-ups. One of the adware programs that specifically targets online applications running on Mac OS is OriginalRotator. The same clan also poses the threat of MainFrameSelect, ExtendedSample, ArchivesOriginal, among many others.
Any variations from the aforementioned adware family are marketed as useful tools that enhance Mac users’ online browsing and search experiences. Many of them may have been duped into downloading and installing the OriginalRotator program for this reason. The majority of victims, however, are individuals who enjoy downloading freeware from dubious file-sharing networks, torrent portals, and websites that offer pirated software.
Source of OriginalRotator
Unbeknownst to Mac users, OriginalRotator’s creators are using the freeware to quickly spread a copy of this adware. OriginalRotator takes pleasure in the simple intrusion on Mac computers by merging the malicious code to several free programs and covertly repackaging it to form a software package. By taking the extra step to execute the setup using Custom or Advanced mode, it is possible to circumvent this adware infiltration tactic. This would make every inclusion apparent to Mac users, and it would make it simple to exclude superfluous apps like OriginalRotator. As a result, the OriginalRotator app is able to infiltrate the device because the majority of users of these high-end devices disregard these security precautions.
Fake software update
The successful fraudulent dissemination of the OriginalRotator app includes the use of phony software updates as another strategy. Pop-up notifications encouraging the download of software updates are not always reliable. It seems fishy when strong alerts do not offer a choice to postpone the installation of a software update. Most of these instances involve pop-up advertisements posing as system alerts in an attempt to fool users into installing OriginalRotator or any other harmful program.
OriginalRotator is a PUA
Computer security experts categorize the OriginalRotator program as a potentially unwanted application (PUA) because it employs a variety of tricks to deceive Mac users. Compared to computer viruses, this threat family is less dangerous. This does not, however, imply that OriginalRotator is risk-free to have installed on the browser. Remember that it still poses a risk to internet security and privacy, and as always, the only way to get rid of this kind of computer annoyance is by removing it.
Procedures to Remove OriginalRotator from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like OriginalRotator. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing OriginalRotator.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete OriginalRotator from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find OriginalRotator or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag OriginalRotator to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to OriginalRotator
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located OriginalRotator, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed OriginalRotator
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Original Rotator App
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing OriginalRotator to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Original Rotator App
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to OriginalRotator adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including OriginalRotator.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, OriginalRotator is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove OriginalRotator from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove OriginalRotator from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing OriginalRotator. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace OriginalRotator settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by OriginalRotator. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select OriginalRotator or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with OriginalRotator.