Nypd is just like any other ransomware that aims on random computer users as their victims in able to extort money by locking their precious files. Nypd developers work by scrutinizing user’s essential files from the contaminated system. Once it situated the target data, they will use a robust algorithm as encryption scheme. After that, Nypd developers will keep the contaminated files inaccessible to victims. The only way to retrieve it is to compensate a ransom charge or buy a decryption tool from the creators of Nypd ransomware virus.
Nypd ransomware infection
Computer user’s files continue be locked until a ransom fee is arrange and sent to attackers via the appointed payment processor. However, victims cannot assure that Nypd developers will fulfill with the bargain even their requested payment are granted. Indications that user’s data are contaminate is when .nypd extension is noticeable to current file name. For instance, the genuine file familypic.jpg will turn into familypic.jpg.nypd after the encryption. Victims cannot uncover these files and will receive a notification from Nypd developers within a text file named _readme.txt placed under the same folder as enciphered data. The letter enclose instructions on the appropriate way to decode all .Nypd files.
As established on the text file, there is only one way to retrieve the entire corrupt data. Paying $980 is ordinarily the price of ransom fee summoned by Nypd developers. But it can be rebuke down to $490 if victims will reach out to them within 72 hours upon the initial attack. Email is their choice for communicating and it is allowing victims to include an attachment of one corrupt file which Nypd developers can decipher for free but should be done within the stated time duration. Some victims concludes the acquisition of the tool since as of to this moment, only Nypd developers can supply the assume effectual decryption instrument.
Nypd ransomware distribution method
Nypd publishers dispense around this menace by means of several tactics. They aim to infect many computer users as much as possible to have bigger turnover. These methods can be any of the following:
- Spam mass-mailing campaign pretending to be from prominent organization
- Malicious online advertisements that persuades web users to download a file
- Software cracks and piracy
- Malicious software bundles
Being cautious while using the internet is an admirable deed to do in order to evade Nypd ransomware virus. Mistakenly clicking ads and installing or downloading programs is often decisive for the safety of computer and particularly to users. To hinder such infections, check or scan computer with legitimate anti-virus or anti-malware tools to see if there are distrustful stuff going around.
How to Remove Nypd Ransomware
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove Nypd virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
Though affected files may be impossible to decrypt due to complexity of the encryption, you can still try recovery method like alternative tool, Shadow Explorer or Previous Version as described below.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Anti-Malware Tool
1. Download free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Carry out the installation with default setup process.
4. After the installation process, click the Get Started button to launch the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On the main console, click on Scan to run most complete detection method to find hidden objects associated to Nypd ransomware.
7. Scanning may take a while. Please wait until the anti-malware tool is done with the checking.
8. Once the scan has completed, the tool will display the list of detected threats. Remove all identified malicious items and restart the computer if necessary.
Stage 2: Double-check for Nypd’s leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for Nypd ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all Nypd ransom virus entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that Nypd ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Stage 3 : Unlocking files with Nypd Decryption Tool
Emsisoft Decryptor for STOP Djvu will work only if affected files were encrypted using Offline Keys. Nypd ransomware uses the alternate Offline Keys during encryption if there is a problem encountered while communicating to a remote command-and-control server. Follow the guide to start recovering .nypd encrypted files.
1. As precautionary measures, we suggest to BACKUP all your .nypd encrypted files first on a separate media (USB Drive, Flash Drive, DVD Discs, etc…).
2. Download Emsisoft Decryptor for STOP Djvu from this archive page.
3. Right-click on decrypt_STOPDjvu.exe and click “Run as Administrator“. Windows may prompt “Do you want to allow this app…” just click Yes to continue.
4. By default, the tool will pre-populate the locations where encrypted files were identified. To include other directories, simply click Add Folder button.
5. To start recovering files infected by Nypd ransomware, click on Decrypt button to start the procedure. The interface will display status of the current decryption process.
We will update this section once the full decryption tool is on hand. In the meantime, please try other options below if the above procedure is not not effective.
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to Nypd ransomware infection. To use this tool and recover files affected by the virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current encrypted files on the computer.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by Nypd Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by Nypd ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to Nypd ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export…
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.