NewTab_searchsmart is an exclusive extension for Google Chrome browser that asserts to enhance online search experience of users. After installation, this program will alter settings on the browser to control homepage and default search engine. Apart from custom search provider, NewTab_searchsmart will include own menu button that allows quick access to some of its features. Presence of this unwanted program is very noticeable due to occurrences of search result hijacking.
There are a number of concerns about this extension. Some user claims that NewTab_searchsmart arrives on the computer as part of other adware. Makers of this program are utilizing software bundles to spread a copy over the internet. Freeware or shareware that bundles NewTab_searchsmart are merely to blame for its sudden appearance. Thus, suspicious free program must be removed as well.
This extension serves the same purpose as normal search engine, but with incorporated excessive paid links on search result pages. It is better and safer to just use Google, Bing, or Yahoo Search. They are more reliable and will never contain hijackers, redirects, or malicious advertisements. While NewTab_searchsmart is so invasive that it can penetrate a computer even without user’s approval. Thus, some users deemed its presence as some kind of computer virus infection.
If you need effective guide to remove NewTab_searchsmart, simply browse the section below. We have tools that can scan the computer to find and remove files belonging to this unwanted program. Using our procedure not only allows you to remove the extension, it will also locate and delete malicious program that brought in NewTab_searchsmart.
How to Remove NewTab_searchsmart
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall NewTab_searchsmart
The main cause of homepage hijacking and browser redirect could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove NewTab_searchsmart entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to NewTab_searchsmart. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted NewTab_searchsmart from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of NewTab_searchsmart on the affected browser.
Step 4: Remove NewTab_searchsmart from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove NewTab_searchsmart from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete NewTab_searchsmart by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of NewTab_searchsmart removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from NewTab_searchsmart. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down to bottom, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings button to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by NewTab_searchsmart. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also run Chrome Cleanup function from this page. An integrated tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.