New Tab Theme Buddy is a prevalent browser extension that is promoted on various distrusted websites and illicit media streaming sites. On these instances, the program is endorsed as useful browser extension that improves online browsing experience of web user. On top of that, New Tab Theme Buddy claims to enhance online search and provide appealing homepage wallpaper.
Redirects such as Edunateoff.space, Hootcodcagy.casa, and Suitesbahrag.icu may also be the source of New Tab Theme Buddy. Aggressive types of pop-ups from these intrusive websites often forces web users to download the unknown app. Most web user’s assumes that this simple browser extension is not hazardous so they just let it slip thru. Unknown to them, having New Tab Theme Buddy on the internet program can be annoying and may advance to identity theft if not removed at once.
Risks of having New Tab Theme Buddy
If New Tab Theme Buddy is installed, it changes the default search provider to Search.searchworm.com. This is very evident when performing an online search while New Tab Theme Buddy is installed. It may be a split-second appearance, but the browser is obviously redirecting to Search.searchworm.com before it releases the final search result via the prominent search engine as Google, Bing, or Yahoo. The motive for such redirect to Search.searchworm.com is simply to forward web users inquiry and log it on the said server. Aside from search keywords, other data like browser information and IP address are likewise gathered during the redirect.
Presence of New Tab Theme Buddy on the website often causes ad display. This is part of the operation of any threat under Adware category where New Tab Theme Buddy is listed. Po-up ads, redirects, and push notifications are just some disturbing promotional publicity stunt that will show up on the browser. Unfortunately, some of these ads are so distracting and even overlays the view on actual web page.
With these mentioned worrisome functionalities of New Tab Theme Buddy, we recommend removing it as soon as possible. Letting is stay on the internet browser program like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox may cause further harm. Follow the guide below in exact steps to ensure complete removal of New Tab Theme Buddy. Also, scan the computer with virus and malware removal tools to check for presence of any malicious objects associated to the threat.
New Tab Theme Buddy Removal Procedure for PC
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting Search.searchworm.com hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete New Tab Theme Buddy Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to New Tab Theme Buddy.
Remove New Tab Theme Buddy Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find New Tab Theme Buddy or relevant entry like Search.searchworm.com and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall New Tab Theme Buddy Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to New Tab Theme Buddy and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that Search.searchworm.com is also gone from the homepage.
Remove New Tab Theme Buddy Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of New Tab Theme Buddy from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete Search.searchworm.com from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If New Tab Theme Buddy is still present on the IE browser and there are still homepage and pop-ups originating from Search.searchworm.com, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select New Tab Theme Buddy or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
To remove New Tab Theme Buddy automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-malware tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like New Tab Theme Buddy that assigns Search.searchworm.com as the homepage URL.
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to New Tab Theme Buddy.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including New Tab Theme Buddy and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
The chances of stopping Search.searchworm.com pop-ups or redirects is also possible after the threat removal. If it still remains, please follow the Search.searchworm.com pop-up removal guide.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the New Tab Theme Buddy browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat and Search.searchworm.com still exists on internet application, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of New Tab Theme Buddy on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces Search.searchworm.com pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by New Tab Theme Buddy.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to New Tab Theme Buddy. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with Search.searchworm.com.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
In addition to the procedures above, resetting the affected browser program and clearing the cache are extra methods to completely eliminate New Tab Theme Buddy. You can execute the guide on resetting internet browser below.
Procedures to Remove New Tab Theme Buddy from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide for Mac users. It will help you remove the subject malicious browser extension from internet software. In the same manner, the procedure is helpful in stopping Search.searchworm.com pop-ups and browser hijacking activities.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser extension like New Tab Theme Buddy that is responsible for displaying Search.searchworm.com homepage and pop-ups. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing New Tab Theme Buddy.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat. The following guides are also vital in deleting Search.searchworm.com from the browser configuration.
Step 1 : Delete New Tab Theme Buddy from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find New Tab Theme Buddy or any unwanted program.
4. Drag New Tab Theme Buddy to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to New Tab Theme Buddy
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the hijacker. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located New Tab Theme Buddy or any relevant item like Search.searchworm.com, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed New Tab Theme Buddy
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. It is normally an unfamiliar file name such as the following:
On some occassions, the malware is represented by a domain name that is closely related to the subject. Like in this case, it can be Search.searchworm.com.
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing New Tab Theme Buddy to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad and open Activity Monitor (Under Utilities or Other Folder).
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to New Tab Theme Buddy browser extension or Search.searchworm.com homepage hijacker.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including the New Tab Theme Buddy malware and Search.searchworm.com browser hijacker and pop-up provider.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, New Tab Theme Buddy is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Delete New Tab Theme Buddy Login Items
Some browser hijacker may also install login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs New Tab Theme Buddy during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs New Tab Theme Buddy.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select New Tab Theme Buddy, , or any suspicious entries from the list and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by New Tab Theme Buddy. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select , New Tab Theme Buddy or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with New Tab Theme Buddy.
There's More... Reset Internet Browser Apps (PC and Mac)
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with New Tab Theme Buddy. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from New Tab Theme Buddy. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of New Tab Theme Buddy.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed New Tab Theme Buddy extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to New Tab Theme Buddy. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. New Tab Theme Buddy should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by New Tab Theme Buddy and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.
Clear the Safari Internet Browser (Mac)
1. Open your Safari browser application.
2. In the Safari menu, click on Preferences from the drop-down list.
3. On Preferences window, please select the Privacy tab.
4. Click on Manage Website Data button.
5. Select unwanted entry like New Tab Theme Buddy and click the Remove button. If you choose to Remove All, you may be logout from most visited websites and online services. Therefore, we advise to remove suspicious item one at a time to prevent changing behavior towards your favorite websites.
6. If it prompts, please confirm your actions.
7. Next, we will need to clear the Cache. Back at the Safari Preferences window, choose Advanced tab.
8. Navigate to the bottom and activate Show Develop menu in menu bar.
9. Go to Safari menu, choose on Develop from the drop down list and click on on Empty Caches.
10. Next thing to do is to restore the Homepage to your preference and remove the one from New Tab Theme Buddy.
11. Back at the Safari Preferences window, click on General tab.
12. Under Homepage section, type your desired URL to be the default start-up page.
13. Lastly, make sure to have the right Search Engine.
14. Go back to Safari Preferences window and click on Search tab.
15. Select your desired Search tool under the Search engine section.
16. You may not restart Safari browser.
How to remove Search.searchworm.com Pop-ups (Notification)
Most of the time, browser hijackers are combined with intrusive pop-up ads originating from the source website Search.searchworm.com. It is taking advantage of push notification feature of popular internet programs like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Edge. These pop-up ads from Search.searchworm.com are extra ordinary as it exceeds the normal display volume and they are certainly annoying.
Normally, Search.searchworm.com pop-ups will start to bombard internet browser screen with pop-ups if web user was deceived to click “Allow” button that triggers the said website to send push notification. To stop Search.searchworm.com from showing the pop-ups, please execute the procedures below. Remember, these steps may only be successful after the removal of the main component or dubious browser extension.
1. On Google Chrome browser, input the following in the address bar and press Enter:
2. Navigate to the list under "Allow" section and look for Search.searchworm.com.
3. Click the ellipses (3 dots) beside Search.searchworm.com list to reveal the options.
4. Click on Block or Remove to stop Search.searchworm.com from displaying pop-up ads on Google Chrome browser.
6. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
1. On Mozilla Firefox browser, type the following in the address bar and press Enter key:
2. Navigate below to Permission area and look for Notifications.
3. Click the Settings button aligned with the Notifications.
4. Look for Search.searchworm.com entry and change the Status to Block.
5. Click on Save Changes and restart Mozilla Firefox and check if Search.searchworm.com pop-up is gone.
1. On top menu, click on Safari and then, select Preferences from the drop-down list.
2. Click on Websites tab to open its settings.
3. Select Notifications from the left sidebar.
4. On right panel, it will display a list of websites with "Allow" attribute.
5. Find and click on Search.searchworm.com.
6. You may choose to Deny or Remove it from the notification list.
7. You may now restart Safari browser and see if Search.searchworm.com pop-up is gone.
1. Assuming that Edge browser is open, click on the ellipses (3 dots) on upper right corner to open the Settings. Alternatively, you can press Alt + X on the keyboard.
2. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
3. Click on Advanced.
4. Under Website Permissions area, click on Manage Permissions button.
4. Find and select Search.searchworm.com from the list. Click on X button to stop it from showing pop-up ads or notifications.
5. You may now restart Edge browser.