Mosquito or also called Mosquito Search is a browser extension made specifically for Google Chrome, Safari, and Firefox browser. It claims to give Mac user better online search experience. Upon installation, Mosquito will change new tab and default search settings. The adware also adds some links on the home page and toolbar, which it state as useful.
With thorough study, it was discovered that Mosquito is the source of excessive advertisements and browser redirect. In fact, this adware originates from Colombi Tech, which is also the publisher of unpopular programs such as MeFind, Bhound, GoForQuery, and many more.
Mosquito issues contextual ads in various formats. It may show pop-up ads, banners, in-line, redirects, or full-page endorsements. The safety of these ads is still in question. There are reports that malware authors are exploiting this ad campaign to distribute malware or adware. Thus, be cautious when clicking links delivered by Mosquito extension.
Removal of malicious program like Mosquito may be complicated when done without proper tools and efficient scanners. Plug-ins, files, and registry entries are just some part of this adware that cannot come off right away during normal virus scan. Therefore, you are not fully removing Mosquito through ordinary means. It may re-emerge once you restart the computer.
In order to remove Mosquito together with other adware that comes with it, we have provided a simple guide on this page. We recommend the use of various malware scanners to delete all hidden adware entities that were dropped on different location of your computer.
Online Security Scanner Report for mosquito.website:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Sept. 13, 2016|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No data||Sept. 13, 2016|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No data||Sept. 13, 2016|
Procedures to Remove Mosquito Adware from Mac
Below is a simple procedure to help you get rid of Mosquito from Macintosh system. Removal of the adware on various browser is also included.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Mosquito
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware i.e. Mosquito, SearchAssist. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Mosquito, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed Mosquito
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder…
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Mosquito to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most recent ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step2, number 4. Drag them to the Trash.
10. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
Optional: For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to Mosquito.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Mosquito.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Mosquito is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Remove Mosquito from Safari Home Page and Search
1. Open Apple menu and select Force Quit. You can also press Command + Option + Esc on the keyboard to access this feature.
2. From the list of applications, select Safari, and then click on Force Quit button. Wait for Safari browser to close.
3. Now, hold down Shift key and launch Safari. Do this to avoid opening any unwanted window from Mosquito.
4. Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
5. Under General tab, type the desired URL on Home Page area.
6. To set the default search engine, please go back to Safari Preferences.
7. Click on Search and select the desired search engine from the list to override Mosquito custom search engine.