On its official Chrome Web Store page, MixMedia Search Plus is marketed as a powerful search engine that helps users find media all over the internet using single search tool. There is also an added video downloader feature that allows user to extract videos from popular sites like Vimeo, Facebook, Instagram, and so on.
Some users recognizes MixMedia Search Plus as a valuable tool. However, some deemed this browser extension as some kind of virus. This can be due to invasive scheme being used by software author to load MixMedia Search Plus into the browser without user’s full knowledge. There are instances that user may have obtained the extension when installing third party application. Known as software bundles, there are free programs on the internet that was paid to spread MixMedia Search Plus. Downloading and installing this freeware similarly installs the unwanted extension even without authority from computer users.
MixMedia Search Plus is technically not a computer virus. It can be classified as Adware by using deceptive method to sneak into the PC. Unlike viruses, browser extensions are not made to spread on its own. It is also not capable of infecting system and executable files. Moreover, MixMedia Search Plus and most adware are much simpler to eradicate from the computer.
To remove MixMedia Search Plus from your Google Chrome browser, simply execute the procedures as stated below. Thoroughly scan the system with suggested anti-malware tool to locate and delete any malicious objects that are related to this adware. After removing MixMedia Search Plus, it is much safer to surf the web if your computer is equipped with a security tool that manages to guard internet traffic and is capable of blocking malicious downloads.
How to Remove MixMedia Search Plus
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall MixMedia Search Plus
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove MixMedia Search Plus or Mix Plugin entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to MixMedia Search Plus. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted MixMedia Search Plus from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of MixMedia Search Plus on the affected browser.
Step 4: Remove MixMedia Search Plus from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove MixMedia Search Plus from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete MixMedia Search Plus by clicking on Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of MixMedia Search Plus removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from MixMedia Search Plus. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down to bottom, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings button to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by MixMedia Search Plus. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also run Chrome Cleanup function from this page. An integrated tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.