Security warning with title “Microsoft Warning Alert” as shown in the screenshot image below is a fake message that purported to be from Windows operating system. Hence, it is clear that this bogus page is originating from unknown website. This particular “Microsoft Warning Alert” further deceive users by displaying bogus scan results showing a number of identified threats including Trojan-PSW.Win32.launch, HackTool:Win32/Welevate.A, Adware.Win32.Fraud, and many more.
Aside from the main page, it occasionally pop-ups dialog box containing much detailed explanation of the identified issues. An excerpt from this reads:
Microsoft Warning Alert
ERROR # 268d3x8938(3)
Please call us immediately at 1-844-517-3777 (Toll Free)
Do not ignore this critical alert.
If you close this page, your computer access will be disabled to prevent further damage to our network.
Your computer has alerted us that it has been infected with Spyware and riskware. The following information is being stolen…
1. Facebook Logins
2. Credit Card Details
3. Email Account Logins
4. Photos stored on this computer
Please call us within the next 5 minutes to prevent your computer from being disabled or from information loss.
Unlike some fake online system scanner that has main objective of selling counterfeit programs, “Microsoft Warning Alert” was published to persuade victims into calling provided toll free numbers. In this type of fraudulent scheme, attackers intend to generate revenue via customer support service that charges users per minute or for every successful remote fix of troubled computer.
Keep in mind that online security notice like “Microsoft Warning Alert” produces misleading messages as primary tactic to influence users. Generally, threats identified by this scam alert are non-existent and in fact, it may appear even on brand new or clean Windows system. Actually, closing the browser window may stop the “Microsoft Warning Alert” pop-up. But sometimes, this stubborn alert can only be terminated via MS Windows Task Manager function. Proceed to complete guide of eliminating this threat by scrolling below.
Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938 Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting browser hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete Suspicious Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove any suspicious the extension from the affected browser program.
Remove Malicious Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find questionable entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall Malware Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for suspicious object and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938 is also gone from the internet browser app.
Remove suspicious Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938 is still present on the IE browser and there are still unwanted homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
4. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
5. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select doubtful item or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of pop-up and redirect adware like Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938 through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file, please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938, click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938 pop-up and redirect including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if your are comfortable to manually get rid of the threat and malicious items linked with it.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938 on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces hijacking, redirects, and pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938 pop-up.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with the hijacker.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938 pop-up. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938 extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938 should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Microsoft Warning Alert - Error # 268d3x8938 and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.