Microsoft Cleanup (or Microsoft Cleaner) belongs to the category of potentially unwanted program (PUP), which may harm the computer in several ways. The main reason for being in the PUP list is its unusual method of computer entry. Microsoft Cleanup is utilizing software bundling hoax to penetrate a computer. Via this method, it does not require permission from user in order to proceed with the installation because it loads alongside the host program. Normally, it is packed to freeware like media player, download manager, utilities, and games. Unfortunately, it is hard to pinpoint the exact malicious bundle because malware authors are randomly selecting the host file.
When fully installed on the computer, Microsoft Cleanup checks the system and abruptly issues a number of registry errors and system defects. Next, it will prompt for quick repair using the paid version of Microsoft Cleanup. Unfortunately, each attempts of user to repair the issues will open a browser window, which is ready to process the online purchase of Microsoft Cleanup commercial version.
Another thing to worry about the existence of Microsoft Cleanup malware is its ability to infect browser applications and performs unusual task while user is surfing the internet. Therefore, both system and internet communication of victims will suffer during the presence of this malware. This may endanger privacy and security of web users while online.
For sure, Microsoft Cleanup malware is not in any way connected to Microsoft Company. The fake tool does not deserve to be in the computer and therefore, immediate removal is highly advice if it is present on the PC. Complete method to remove this threat along with effective anti-virus and anti-malware tool is what we can offer to restore the safety on the computer.
Microsoft Cleanup Removal Procedures
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Stage 1: Uninstall Microsoft Cleanup from Windows
1. Go to Start menu and type appwiz.cpl under Run or Search box.
2. Add/Remove Program window will open. Select Microsoft Cleanup or Microsoft Cleaner from the list.
3. Click on Uninstall button to remove the unwanted program.
Stage 2: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds Microsoft Cleanup and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 3: Double-check for leftover of Microsoft Cleanup using Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for Microsoft Cleanup . Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all Microsoft Cleanup entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that Microsoft Cleanup have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Stage 4: Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MB3-Setup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. At the last stage of installation process, click Finish to run the program.
5. On Malwarebytes Anti-Malware console, select Scan from the menu to see available Scan Method.
6. Next, click on Threat Scan. This is the most comprehensive scan method that will surely find any hidden items linked to Microsoft Cleanup.
7. Click Start Scan button to begin checking the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.