MainSearchPlatform is categorized as unwanted browser extension. Cyber crooks inject this code on the internet browser program so that it can initiate ad display on Mac computer. The primary aim of this threat is to inflict changes on the browser application particularly Google Chrome and Safari. Mac users normally install MainSearchPlatform involuntarily while loading a freeware that was obtained from suspicious websites. Obviously, the carrier file will never notify Mac users about the installation of the surplus program to avoid blocking the setup proceedings.
How MainSearchPlatform infects the Mac computer?
Bear in mind that questionable browser extensions are considered as potentially unwanted application (PUA). Their method of infecting the computer is very much different from the virus infection. Hence, the principle of getting inside without the authorization of Mac user is constant. Like viruses, MainSearchPlatfor intends to inflict unwanted changes so that it can perform different malicious actions. Once rationale for the invasion is to take over the browser settings and conquer the homepage or search engine default.
Another reason for the infiltration made by MainSearchPlatform app is to take advantage of the infected browser application. Once it injects the code, the internet program will start to display advertisements like pop-ups, redirects, and banners. Attackers are going to exploit this situation to generate online profit by running its own pay-per-click ad scheme. The ad could allow similar adware as PreferenceFind or LookUpAnyTopic to enter the computer while they are in disguise as software update, that is actually bogus (see image below).
What to do with MainSearchPlatform app
After learning that presence of MainSearchPlatform can cause different misbehavior on the internet browser application, Mac users should act for the immediate removal of this PUA. Leaving it on the browser could further harm the computer because the ads may redirect the browser program to malicious sites that are the common sources of adware or malware infection. Aside from that, MainSearchPlatform app is able to collect browsing information from the browser and this can eventually lead to identity theft if gathered data was sold to hackers or fraudster.
For a complete guide to remove MainSearchPlatform from the internet browser of Mac, please navigate to the next section. As stated, it is recommended to scan the computer with virus or malware removal tools to ensure that Mac is free from any kind of threats.
Procedures to Remove MainSearchPlatform from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like MainSearchPlatform. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing MainSearchPlatform.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete MainSearchPlatform from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find MainSearchPlatform or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag MainSearchPlatform to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to MainSearchPlatform
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located MainSearchPlatform, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed MainSearchPlatform
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Main Search Platform Daemon
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing MainSearchPlatform to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Main Search Platform Daemon
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to MainSearchPlatform adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including MainSearchPlatform.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, MainSearchPlatform is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove MainSearchPlatform from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove MainSearchPlatform from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing MainSearchPlatform. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace MainSearchPlatform settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by MainSearchPlatform. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select MainSearchPlatform or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with MainSearchPlatform.