Mainonta may provide malicious pop-up ads and hyperlinks that when clicked will bring harm to the computer. This malicious web address also interrupt user’s web browsing by redirecting pages to unknown web sites. Additionally, Mainonta provides pop-up ads for various online products and software. In our analysis, visiting one of the addresses from this domain pop-ups a fake update that when installed will load an adware.
Mainonta and its sub domains are extremely harmful as of this writing. It is being utilized by attacker to deploy threats like adware or malware. It targets widely used browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. This threat can also be installed on the computer through software bundles. Its code is embedded into programs that anyone can download from certain web sites without a fee.
Installing the free program onto the computer similarly loads Mainonta pop-up codes. The installation is normally discreet that even your anti-virus program may not be able to see it coming. The first target of this threat is your browser settings. It injects a code to redirect your requested web page to a malicious URL. Mainonta may also hijack search results on your computer once the code is loaded. This only means that you cannot browser the web normally while this pest exists on the system.
Mainonta Removal Guide
Stage 1: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Mainonta. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 2: Remove Mainonta Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Mainonta from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Mainonta on the affected browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Mainonta. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Mainonta.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tuneup. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Mainonta should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Mainonta and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.