MacSaleMate is a malicious program that can interfere with your Internet browsing activity. It will show pop-up ads, coupons, deals, and discount for irrelevant products. This commercial contents coming from MacSaleMate affiliates may be useful to others, but worthless to many who are not inclined to online shopping. Some computer users who get in touch with MacSaleMate deemed it as part of virus activity.
In the presence of MacSaleMate, it attached itself to known browsers like Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox without user’s consent. In short, instant appearance of MacSaleMate coupons or ads comes as a surprise, especially if user has no involvement in the installation.
Normally, freeware is the main source of this adware. Free programs are packed together with MacSaleMate so that both runs in single installation process. What user don’t know is adware is being installed, not only the preferred software. MacSaleMate pop-up intends to give online shoppers a tool to balance on online deals and get the best offer. Coupons and savings are also provided as a pop-up and will appear when user is browsing online shopping sites.
If you feel that MacSaleMate is not in any way helpful, we suggest removing it from the computer. It may have other purpose like recording some of your browsing data that may lead to identity theft.
Online Security Scanner Report for macsalemate.info:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: March 12, 2016|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No Data||Updated: March 12, 2016|
|Currently Safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: March 12, 2016|
Procedures to Remove MacSaleMate Adware from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
QuickFix: Instant Removal
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP’s. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser adware that causes annoyances. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
Click here to Download Combo Cleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Double-click the downloaded file.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on “Start Combo Scan“.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to MacSaleMate
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware i.e. MacSaleMate, SearchAssist. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located MacSaleMate, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed MacSaleMate
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder…
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the MacSaleMate to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step2, number 4. Drag them to the Trash.
10. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
Optional: For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to MacSaleMate.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including MacSaleMate.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, MacSaleMate is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Remove MacSaleMate from Safari Home Page and Search
1. Open Apple menu and select Force Quit. You can also press Command + Option + Esc on the keyboard to access this feature.
2. From the list of applications, select Safari, and then click on Force Quit button. Wait for Safari browser to close.
3. Now, hold down Shift key and launch Safari. Do this to avoid opening any unwanted window from MacSaleMate.
4. Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
5. Under General tab, type the desired URL on Home Page area.
6. To set the default search engine, please go back to Safari Preferences.
7. Click on Search and select the desired search engine from the list to override MacSaleMate custom search engine.