Keeping the Mac computer safe and optimized requires a legitimate program that works alongside the built-in features of the OS. Pop-up advertisements offering different tools are actually a hit or miss because not all that are marketed online can provide the expected system improvement. One example of unreliable tool is called MacMaster. The makers of this Mac optimization and security software has not yet gained sufficient user’s trust and therefore, security experts are advising to stay away from this app.
People behind MacMaster are really having hard time dealing with complaints about the unreliable performance of their products. Not to mention that poor reviews from user themselves are flooding various trust and review sites, which suggest that products from this vendor is a near-clone of several hundred of bogus software including Total Mac Fixer, Quick Mac Booster, Easy Mac Care, and the list goes on.
Most of the time, distrusted product like MacMaster enters the computer uninvited. They came along with another software installers like freeware or shareware that are usually offered by aggressive type of pop-up advertisements. On other instances, visiting malicious sites would pop-up an ad purporting as system alert claiming to have identified a number of system issues. Then, it prompts to urgently deal with it by downloading the fixer called MacMaster.
Keep in mind that alerts and warnings published by rogue tool such as this are just scare tactics to persuade Mac users into paying for the registered version of MacMaster. It can easily influence Mac user by repetitively exhibiting a simulated scans identifying several system issues and virus infection. Keep in mind that most of the identified troubles do not actually exist. This misleading scheme is the only way for attackers to force Mac users into activating the full or paid version of MacMaster.
Instead of falling into this tactics and paying for the worthless application, it is much better to remove it from the computer. If having difficulty with the removal of the unwanted program, we made a simple guide to uninstall MacMaster. Please explore the next section for a complete procedure.
Procedures to Remove MacMaster
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac computer.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
To remove MacMaster from Mac, follow the steps below.
- Quick Fix : Scan the Mac computer with the Combo Cleaner.
- Step 1 : End the MacMaster process.
- Step 2 : Delete Login items associated with MacMaster.
- Step 3 : Uninstall MacMaster from the Applications folder.
- Step 4 : Delete MacMaster files from your Mac computer.
- Step 5 : Run another scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like MacMaster. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing MacMaster.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects MacMaster rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit MacMaster Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close MacMaster window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for MacMaster. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to MacMaster. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete MacMaster Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs MacMaster during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs MacMaster.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select MacMaster from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if MacMaster Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete MacMaster Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find MacMaster or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the MacMaster to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed MacMaster
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing MacMaster to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including MacMaster.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, MacMaster is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.