Disclaimer: The subject on this post is the FAKE version of MacEnizer. Legitimate copy of MacEnizer is available on official website macenizer.com
MacEnizer from macenizers.com is a rogue Macintosh security and optimizer tool. This counterfeit copy is distributed online in various methods but is often acquired by victims through malicious advertisements that emerges from series of browser redirects. Online marketing pages by MacEnizer normally disguises as online scanner and is known in identifying issues that do not exists on Mac computer. The imaginary detection aims to influence web users into downloading or running a setup of MacEnizer directly from the bogus online scanner page.
After successful installation of MacEnizer, users will be bombarded with alerts and warnings stating several Malware/PUP threats as well as dozens of issues on various sections involving Mac systems. As usual, the motive of such false information is to entice users in getting the paid version of MacEnizer. Exhibiting these pop-ups and alerts will persist until it convinces users that urgent fix is needed and this can only be done by obtaining the MacEnizer license key.
Looking at the graphical user interface alone, it is obvious that MacEnizer is a remake of previous PCVARK malware namely Mac Fixer Pro, Qbit Mac Cleaner, and Advanced Mac Booster. Except from the program title, there is no distinctive change on the recent version. None of these counterfeit security and optimization apps provides benefits to Mac users; instead, MacEnizer and all its predecessors is actual nuisance once installed on the computer. Therefore, we highly recommend immediate removal of the fake MacEnizer to prevent further harm on Mac systems.
Procedures to Remove MacEnizer
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like MacEnizer. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing MacEnizer.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects MacEnizer rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Quit MacEnizer Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close MacEnizer window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for MacEnizer. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to MacEnizer. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete MacEnizer Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs MacEnizer during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs MacEnizer.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select MacEnizer from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if MacEnizer Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 4: Delete MacEnizer Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find MacEnizer or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the MacEnizer to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 5 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed MacEnizer
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing MacEnizer to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 6 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including MacEnizer.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, MacEnizer is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.