MacCleanBooster is a system optimization tool for Mac that suppose to enhance the performance of the OS because it offers different features like cleanup for downloads folder, attachments, application logs, system logs, cache, and so on. However, despite of having such functionality, Mac security experts are having doubts on the real objective of MacCleanBooster especially that they have discovered its attachment to other rogue software including MacMaster, Total Mac Fixer, or Quick Mac Fixer.
How MacCleanBooster infects Mac computer
People behind this optimization software are employing different kinds of unfair marketing strategies to promote MacCleanBooster as valuable program that improves the performance of Mac. Among the top distribution channels that attackers are relying to spread MacCleanBooster are comprise of the following:
Malicious advertisements – Quite a number of advertisements that promotes MacCleanBooster are involved in misleading tactics like for example, it masquerade as system alert that identifies obsolete program having conflict on other applications. It prompts Mac user to download the software update with urgency in order to fix the issue. However, instead of the expected software update, Mac user was tricked to download and install the MacCleanBooster app. See sample image of the fake software update pop-up below.
Dubious software bundle – Freeware, shareware, and third party applications that are offered on various questionable websites may contain added unwanted app. There is no definite item on the inclusion, it could be MacCleanBooster or similar rogue tool, browser extension, or adware. In this particular case, as soon as Mac user installs the freeware, the hidden setup process of the extra app runs in the background and it does not require authorization because it adopts the same privilege assigned to the host software.
Drive-by-download – A number of malicious websites are equipped with scripts that automate the download and installation of malware. As soon as Mac user arrives on the page, it runs the code and installs MacCleanBooster on the computer. This web injection scheme is only effective if the malicious site detects a browser vulnerability that it can exploit to execute the objective.
MacCleanBooster is a rogue program
Aside from online promotions, setup initialization window asserts that MacCleanBooster is a worthy application that greatly improves the performance of Mac. In fact, it greets Mac user with the following message upon running the installation sequence.
MacCleanBooster is a Macinstosh App that acts as system cleaner, clean your junk and unnecessary files, which overload your machine. MacCleanBooster runs on MacOS 10.12 Sierra and above…
Keep in mind that MacCleanBooster is a counterfeit application and its primary objective is to swindle money from Mac user. To complete this task, it continuously detects unusual issues that need immediate fixing and to do this, Mac user should purchase the full version of MacCleanBooster. Unfortunately, the scans are just simulations and detected troubles do not exists.
Procedures to Remove MacCleanBooster
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like MacCleanBooster. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing MacCleanBooster.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects MacCleanBooster rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit MacCleanBooster Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close MacCleanBooster window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for MacCleanBooster. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to MacCleanBooster. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete MacCleanBooster Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs MacCleanBooster during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs MacCleanBooster.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select MacCleanBooster from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if MacCleanBooster Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete MacCleanBooster Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find MacCleanBooster or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the MacCleanBooster to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed MacCleanBooster
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing MacCleanBooster to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including MacCleanBooster.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, MacCleanBooster is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.