Mac Tweak is a potentially unwanted application (PUA) that is distributed over the internet via software bundles and malicious advertising campaign. Macintosh users may get this threat by obtaining freeware from malicious locations or questionable download sites. When installing dubious software package, users do not get full disclosure on the overall content. Therefore, arrival of Mac Tweak is unwelcome to most users especially that it is not what they meant to install. In most cases, users who are victimized by Mac Tweak are the ones that aspire for free games, tools, and software updates.
Mac Tweak came from PCVARK group that is known to have made a number of PUA’s. Dozens of this rogue application in the wild have already swindled huge amount of money from their victims. Some of the earlier variants includes Mac Defender, Mac Auto Fixer, and Smart Mac Care. Be aware that most of these old model rogue programs are just being re-branded to come up with new product and that is how Mac Tweak was born.
Ways to mislead users to purchase the paid version remains identical. Mac Tweak is using scare techniques by producing mock-up scan results, faker alerts, and bogus warnings. All of these are disposed on the screen to get user’s attention and persuade them to buy the full version of Mac Tweak.
Presence of Mac Tweak may also cause to display pop-ups that lead to installation of additional junk programs. Existence of this unwanted program and its continuous scan-and-detect actions can result to system slow down and eventually crashes a number of system processes. Therefore, it is crucial to remove Mac Tweak before it can further harm the computer. Complete procedures are posted on this page including anti-malware and anti-virus tools that effectively scans and delete malicious objects from Mac systems.
Procedures to Remove Mac Tweak
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser hijacker like Mac Tweak. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
Click here to Download Combo Cleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Mac Tweak.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Quit Mac Tweak Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Mac Tweak window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Mac Tweak. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Mac Tweak. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Mac Tweak Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Mac Tweak during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Mac Tweak.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Mac Tweak from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Mac Tweak
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Mac Tweak to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Mac Tweak.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Mac Tweak is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.