Mac Tonic Pro is another hazardous rogue optimization tool from PCVARK and therefore, computer security experts deemed it as another malware that could spread quickly over the internet. Cyber criminals behind this malicious application often utilize aggressive advertising campaign from questionable ad network. Instead of the usual endorsement page, web page will pop-up online scan or warning stating that Mac computer is suffering from a number of system issues. The page solicits approval from user to install Mac Tonic Pro and claims that scanning the computer with this application is the only way to fix identified errors. Hence, downloading and installing Mac Tonic Pro is just the start of its deceitful tactics to swindle money from innocent victims.
To fully persuade users to buy the paid version of Mac Tonic Pro, important features of the program is revealed during the initial setup. As shown in the image below, the tool claims to provide the following services:
- Detect, view, and clean unused and junk files.
- Manage apps with built-in App Manager.
- Manager start-up boot time.
- Remove duplicate and large files.
- 24/7 technical support.
Once successfully installed on the computer, Mac Tonic Pro will continue to bombard the screen with fake warnings and alerts as part of its scare tactics. Aside from this, it runs a system scan every now and then and flashes daunting results about degrading system performance, errors, and start-up issues. Keep in mind that this misleading technique was patterned from similar rogue optimizer and security apps like Mac Repair and Total Mac Care. Scan results and issues identified by Mac Tonic Pro are false findings and very deceptive. This is a common way for rogue application to influence Mac users in paying for the registered version of the promoted tool.
The real solution to this kind of dilemma is to get rid of the culprit and it is no other than Mac Tonic Pro itself. Guide below covers complete removal of this rogue application and also included are legitimate anti-virus and anti-malware tool that are helpful in removing hidden objects associated with Mac Tonic Pro.
Procedures to Remove Mac Tonic Pro
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like Mac Tonic Pro. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Mac Tonic Pro.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects Mac Tonic Pro rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Quit Mac Tonic Pro Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Mac Tonic Pro window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Mac Tonic Pro. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Mac Tonic Pro. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Mac Tonic Pro Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Mac Tonic Pro during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Mac Tonic Pro.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Mac Tonic Pro from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if Mac Tonic Pro Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 4: Delete Mac Tonic Pro Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find Mac Tonic Pro or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the Mac Tonic Pro to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 5 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Mac Tonic Pro
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Mac Tonic Pro to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 6 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Mac Tonic Pro.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Mac Tonic Pro is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.