Mac Purifier promotes itself as a tool that cleans and optimizes Macintosh computer with ease. At first glance, computer users are pleased with this program due to so many features it has to offer. It asserts to find clutters, junk files, and obsolete files from the system. Mac Purifier seems to be a perfect tool to free up hard disk space from unnecessary files. However, user begins to suspect on its ingenuity when it demands to purchase full version before it can run fixes on the computer.
Mac Purifier is a Macintosh version of dubious PC optimization tool called PC Purifier. These two versions are very much similar in making users so anxious about the status of the computer. The program will produce bogus alerts and warnings stating several troubles on the system. Mac Purifier also issues shady scan results to persuade users into purchasing the full version of the software.
As you can notice, Mac Purifier is very much similar to most rogue applications that are aiming to steal money from users by selling inefficient product. In addition, this program usually arrives on the computer unexpectedly by means of software bundles. It may get inside the system unknown to user while installing freeware or third party software that was obtained from distrustful websites.
After learning that computer is not safe while Mac Purifier is around, you have no other recourse but to remove this rogue program immediately. Letting it stay on the computer may lead to further adware or malware troubles. To effectively remove Mac Purifier, please follow the steps are outlined on this page. Scan the computer with suggested anti-malware tool to find and delete malicious objects related to Mac Purifier.
Online Security Scanner Report for macpurifier.com:
|Caution||Feedback: Threats found||Updated: Dec. 07, 2016|
|Link is safe||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Dec. 07, 2016|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: Dec. 07, 2016|
Procedures to Remove Mac Purifier Adware from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix : Instant Removal
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP’s. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser adware that causes annoyances. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on “Start Combo Scan“.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Mac Purifier
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware i.e. Mac Purifier, Jawego. To do this, please follow the procedure depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Mac Purifier, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed Mac Purifier
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder…
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
- com.Mac Purifier.agent
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Mac Purifier to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step2, number 4. Drag them to the Trash.
10. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Mac Purifier
Optional: For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to Mac Purifier.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Mac Purifier.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Mac Purifier is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Remove Mac Purifier from Safari Home Page and Search
1. Open Apple menu and select Force Quit. You can also press Command + Option + Esc on the keyboard to access this feature.
2. From the list of applications, select Safari, and then click on Force Quit button. Wait for Safari browser to close.
3. Now, hold down Shift key and launch Safari. Do this to avoid opening any unwanted window from Mac Purifier.
4. Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
5. Under General tab, type the desired URL on Home Page area.
6. To set the default search engine, please go back to Safari Preferences.
7. Click on Search and select the desired search engine from the list to override Mac Purifier custom search engine.