Mac Auto Cleaner is promoted on its official website as number one cleanup utility for Mac. It asserts to create protective shield to secure the system from malware, adware, ransomware, Trojans, phishing codes, and other malicious elements. Mac Auto Cleaner claims to instantly detects and remove threats through its real-time scanning feature.
During our analysis, it turned out that Mac Auto Cleaner is linked to previous rogue programs such as Mac Auto Fixer, Mac Heal Pro, and many more. It appears that Mac Auto Cleaner is just a re-branded of previous variants. As you can see, image below shows that graphical user interface of this recent product is identical to its former versions. Scan method and even ways to persuade victims in buying the full copy of Mac Auto Cleaner is impossible to tell apart. It uses scan-and-detect scheme that aims to deceive users with the current troubled status of the computer.
Just as we always advise, immediately remove any rogue applications as it can cause further harm when left running on Mac system. On our guide below, we included manual method as well as automatic procedure, which require scanning the computer with effective anti-malware tools. Execute the guide in exact order to ensure complete removal of Mac Auto Cleaner and all malicious objects associated with it.
Procedures to Remove Mac Auto Cleaner
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac computer.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like Mac Auto Cleaner. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Mac Auto Cleaner.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects Mac Auto Cleaner rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit Mac Auto Cleaner Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Mac Auto Cleaner window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Mac Auto Cleaner. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Mac Auto Cleaner. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete Mac Auto Cleaner Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Mac Auto Cleaner during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Mac Auto Cleaner.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Mac Auto Cleaner from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if Mac Auto Cleaner Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete Mac Auto Cleaner Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find Mac Auto Cleaner or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the Mac Auto Cleaner to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Mac Auto Cleaner
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Mac Auto Cleaner to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Mac Auto Cleaner.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Mac Auto Cleaner is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.