Lp.onlinecleanup.pw is an internet browser redirect that Mac users may encounter during a visit to malicious websites. Screenshot image below explains that this specific web page was created as a marketing tool to spread potentially unwanted programs (PUP) like Mac Tuneup, Mac Enhancer, and other similar rogue security and optimization app. To deceive web users, Lp.onlinecleanup.pw web page contains misleading narrative of how vital it is to have the promoted tool. It asserts to clean, optimizes, and secures Mac systems.
Mac security experts explain that it is common for malware authors to utilize misleading websites to as platform of spreading their product to online users. Hence, this scheme is coupled with malicious advertising campaign that installs applet on web user’s computer to redirect the browser to Lp.onlinecleanup.pw.
On some instances, Mac users may arrive on Lp.onlinecleanup.pw by chance when visiting websites that have active redirect script. The malicious code is not specific to Lp.onlinecleanup.pw, it can also reroute web user’s browser to other web pages with similar dubious intention.
With said explanation, stopping the Lp.onlinecleanup.pw redirect is not limited to removal of malware on local internet browser application and Mac system. Staying away from questionable websites and intrusive pop-up advertisements is another key to avoid rogue tool infection.
As first aid when browser is redirecting to Lp.onlinecleanup.pw, we suggest scanning the computer with effective anti-malware tool. Complete guide to accomplish this task is presented below. Be sure to follow the steps in exact manner to remove Lp.onlinecleanup.pw objects if it is present on the computer.
Procedures to Remove Lp.onlinecleanup.pw from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove malicious browser hijacker from internet application.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser hijacker like Lp.onlinecleanup.pw. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
Click here to Download Combo Cleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Lp.onlinecleanup.pw.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Lp.onlinecleanup.pw
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the hijacker. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Lp.onlinecleanup.pw or any suspicious objects, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Lp.onlinecleanup.pw.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Lp.onlinecleanup.pw is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Delete Lp.onlinecleanup.pw Login Items
Some browser hijacker may also install login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Lp.onlinecleanup.pw during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Lp.onlinecleanup.pw.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Lp.onlinecleanup.pw or any suspicious entries from the list and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by Lp.onlinecleanup.pw. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select Lp.onlinecleanup.pw or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with Lp.onlinecleanup.pw.