LookUpAnyTopic is a creation by cyber crooks that intends to exploit the infected browser application and convert it into a profitable tool while users suffer from various intrusive advertising scheme. Technically, LookUpAnyTopic is an application for Mac systems that works seamlessly across Internet applications like Safari, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. This is classified as an ad-supported (Adware) software that usually spreads through freeware packages normally under the disguise as games, utilities, media player, internet speed booster, and so on.
How LookUpAnyTopic infects the Mac computer?
Because LookUpAnyTopic sneaks into the computer when it is packed into a shareware, its installation is simultaneous to the main executable file. In fact, this form of multiple software installations via single file is called software bundling technique. The adware manufacturers preferred their application to propagate in this way, as it does not attract the attention of the user during the installation process and it escapes the local security program.
The disadvantage is, users have regarded the immediate appearance of LookUpAnyTopic as a virus attack where they assume that the Mac system is in great danger. What further inflames this wrong assumption is the continued display of intrusive advertisements as LookUpAnyTopic app is inside the Mac computer. Pop-ups, redirects, notifications and banners are a group of marketing objects that still interfere with the user’s browsing activity.
Is LookUpAnyTopic a computer virus?
The general threat classification of LookUpAnyTopic is a potentially unwanted application (PUA) and also considered as harmful as ProductUpgrade and ActivityElement. Of course, most of the users that have it are not welcome to sneak in this browser extension. In addition, it contains a number of unnecessary browser changes which do not benefit the end user. As a result, the consensus of the Safety Specialist is to withdraw LookUpAnyTopic. It may not be under the classification of computer viruses, but still, it may cause security and privacy concerns on compromised browser applications.
Immediately get rid of LookUpAnyTopic app using the guide as it is outlined on this page. As indicated, check the computer with reliable anti-virus and anti-malware tools. In the case that the adware is unchanging, additional steps are required to disable the Managed by Organization function from the browser.
Procedures to Remove LookUpAnyTopic from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer. Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
To successfully remove LookUpAnyTopic from your Mac, follow the steps below:
- Quick Fix : Scan the computer with the Combo Cleaner tool.
- Step 1 : Uninstall LookUpAnyTopic from the Applications folder.
- Step 2 : Remove malicious browser extensions.
- Step 3 : Delete LookUpAnyTopic files from your Mac computer.
- Step 4 : Run another scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
- Step 5 : Remove LookUpAnyTopic entries from internet browsers.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like LookUpAnyTopic. You may need to purchase the full version if you want to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until your antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates.
6. Next, click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing LookUpAnyTopic.
7. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete LookUpAnyTopic from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find LookUpAnyTopic or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag LookUpAnyTopic to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to LookUpAnyTopic
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located LookUpAnyTopic, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed LookUpAnyTopic
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Look Up Any Topic Daemon
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing LookUpAnyTopic to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Look Up Any Topic Daemon
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to LookUpAnyTopic adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download the most recent version if one is available. This is necessary for finding recent malware threats, including LookUpAnyTopic.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on the Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, and LookUpAnyTopic is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click the Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove LookUpAnyTopic from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to the Safari Menu located in the upper left-hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under the General tab, navigate to the Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that the "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove LookUpAnyTopic from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Input the following on the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area on the sidebar.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Choose the unwanted homepage, and click on Ellipses (three dots) and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your homepage, replacing the LookUpAnyTopic setting. Click Save.
- To set the default search engine, go to the Search Engine area from the sidebar link.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Select the questionable Search Engine and click on Ellipses (three dots). ClickDelete. to remove it from the list.
- Go back to the Search Engine area and choose a valid entry (i.e., Google) from 'Search engine used in the address bar'.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- Click Home on the sidebar area.
- Under "New Windows and Tabs", you may choose Firefox Home (Default) or Custom URLs. - Input the desired URL to replace LookUpAnyTopic settings if you chose Custom URLs.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on the sidebar to display the settings.
- Under the Default Search Engine list, please select one (i.e., Google).
- On the same page, you have the option to Remove unwanted search engines.
Optional : If you are unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some users complain that there is no way to change browser settings because they are grayed out by LookUpAnyTopic. In such a situation, it is important to check if there is an unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select LookUpAnyTopic or any relevant profile from the left pane. See the image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click the minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to the image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with LookUpAnyTopic.
Remove Stubborn LookUpAnyTopic from Google Chrome via Terminal of Mac
If solution above is not sufficient and LookUpAnyTopic is still present on the browser, you may need to proceed with these steps.
1. Open Terminal App by navigating to Go > Utilities, then click on Terminal.app
2. Input the strings below and press Enter on keyboard to execute the command. Input one string at a time.
defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageIsNewTabPage -bool false
defaults write com.google.Chrome NewTabPageLocation -string “https://www.google.com/”
defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageLocation -string “https://www.google.com/”
defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderSearchURL
defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderNewTabURL
defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderName
3. Please restart Google Chrome browser to see if LookUpAnyTopic is gone.