LookUpAnyTopic is a creation by cyber crooks that intends to exploit the infected browser application and convert it into a profitable tool while users suffer from various intrusive advertising scheme. Technically, LookUpAnyTopic is an application for Mac systems that works seamlessly across Internet applications like Safari, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. This is classified as an ad-supported (Adware) software that usually spreads through freeware packages normally under the disguise as games, utilities, media player, internet speed booster, and so on.
How LookUpAnyTopic infects the Mac computer?
Because LookUpAnyTopic sneaks into the computer when it is packed into a shareware, its installation is simultaneous to the main executable file. In fact, this form of multiple software installations via single file is called software bundling technique. The adware manufacturers preferred their application to propagate in this way, as it does not attract the attention of the user during the installation process and it escapes the local security program.
The disadvantage is, users have regarded the immediate appearance of LookUpAnyTopic as a virus attack where they assume that the Mac system is in great danger. What further inflames this wrong assumption is the continued display of intrusive advertisements as LookUpAnyTopic app is inside the Mac computer. Pop-ups, redirects, notifications and banners are a group of marketing objects that still interfere with the user’s browsing activity.
Is LookUpAnyTopic a computer virus?
The general threat classification of LookUpAnyTopic is a potentially unwanted application (PUA) and also considered as harmful as ProductUpgrade and ActivityElement. Of course, most of the users that have it are not welcome to sneak in this browser extension. In addition, it contains a number of unnecessary browser changes which do not benefit the end user. As a result, the consensus of the Safety Specialist is to withdraw LookUpAnyTopic. It may not be under the classification of computer viruses, but still, it may cause security and privacy concerns on compromised browser applications.
Immediately get rid of LookUpAnyTopic app using the guide as it is outlined on this page. As indicated, check the computer with reliable anti-virus and anti-malware tools. In the case that the adware is unchanging, additional steps are required to disable the Managed by Organization function from the browser.
Procedures to Remove LookUpAnyTopic from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like LookUpAnyTopic. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing LookUpAnyTopic.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete LookUpAnyTopic from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find LookUpAnyTopic or any unwanted program.
4. Drag LookUpAnyTopic to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to LookUpAnyTopic
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located LookUpAnyTopic, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed LookUpAnyTopic
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Look Up Any Topic Daemon
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing LookUpAnyTopic to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Look Up Any Topic Daemon
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to LookUpAnyTopic adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including LookUpAnyTopic.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, LookUpAnyTopic is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove LookUpAnyTopic from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove LookUpAnyTopic from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing LookUpAnyTopic. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace LookUpAnyTopic settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by LookUpAnyTopic. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select LookUpAnyTopic or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with LookUpAnyTopic.
Remove Stubborn LookUpAnyTopic from Google Chrome via Terminal of Mac
If solution above is not sufficient and LookUpAnyTopic is still present on the browser, you may need to proceed with these steps.
1. Open Terminal App by navigating to Go > Utilities, then click on Terminal.app
2. Input the strings below and press Enter on keyboard to execute the command. Input one string at a time.
defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageIsNewTabPage -bool false
defaults write com.google.Chrome NewTabPageLocation -string “https://www.google.com/”
defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageLocation -string “https://www.google.com/”
defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderSearchURL
defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderNewTabURL
defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderName
3. Please restart Google Chrome browser to see if LookUpAnyTopic is gone.