Lokd is a computer virus or specifically called ransomware that aims to extort money by blackmailing their victims in order to purchase a decryption tool. Lokd extension adds up on the personal and important files of victims, which remains inaccessible unless a payment is settled. So far, only makers of Lokd ransomware can only provide the solution, which they generate from their asymmetric encryption process during the virus infection. After this, it will drop a ransom note _readme.txt files, typically includes the message of hackers stating their demands and instructions.
Lokd ransomware will use an encryption algorithm to lock common of files victims like documents, spreadsheets, archives, photos, images, and so on. Decryption tool is in possession of Lokd developers so settling a ransom fee is necessary for the solution. In most cases, even the promoted paid programs for decryption and recovery are not functional when Lokd ransomware infects data.
Lokd Ransomware Fees and Instruction
Like previous versions of this ransomware as Rezm, Nppp, and Mmnn, Lokd will instruct its victims to pay a ransom fee of $980. However, it can get lower to $490 if victims will contact hackers within the given time period. The payment will cover a decryption tool and private key that are needed to retrieve corrupted files. Makers of Lokd will request victims to contact them through email address, which is included in the ransom note. Usually, Lokd ransomware makers prefer to receive the payment in Bitcoin. It is a scheme by cyber criminals to remain untraceable by using discrete digital crypto-currency online transaction.
Lokd Ransomware Infection
Implanting Lokd ransomware on computer is possible via software cracks or spam email messages. The ransomware will automatically activate as soon as the cracked program executes the payload. Therefore, installing this kind of software is extremely unsafe.
Through email, Lokd developers send malware-infected attachments. Such files could be deceptive subjects coming from suspicious email addresses. Opening it could activate the Lokd ransomware on the operating system. The moment it invades computer, it will start to operate locating valuable files and encrypts it with a sophisticated algorithmic pattern. Computer security experts advised that instead of negotiating with cyber criminals, just focus on the process of removing Lokd ransomware.
How to Remove Lokd Ransomware
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove Lokd virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
Though affected files may be impossible to decrypt due to complexity of the encryption, you can still try recovery method like alternative tool, Shadow Explorer or Previous Version as described below.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Anti-Malware Tool
1. Download free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Carry out the installation with default setup process.
4. After the installation process, click the Get Started button to launch the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On the main console, click on Scan to run most complete detection method to find hidden objects associated to Lokd ransomware.
7. Scanning may take a while. Please wait until the anti-malware tool is done with the checking.
8. Once the scan has completed, the tool will display the list of detected threats. Remove all identified malicious items and restart the computer if necessary.
Stage 2: Double-check for Lokd’s leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for Lokd ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all Lokd ransom virus entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that Lokd ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Stage 3 : Unlocking files with Lokd Decryption Tool
Emsisoft Decryptor for STOP Djvu will work only if affected files were encrypted using Offline Keys. Lokd ransomware uses the alternate Offline Keys during encryption if there is a problem encountered while communicating to a remote command-and-control server. Follow the guide to start recovering .lokd encrypted files.
1. As precautionary measures, we suggest to BACKUP all your .lokd encrypted files first on a separate media (USB Drive, Flash Drive, DVD Discs, etc…).
2. Download Emsisoft Decryptor for STOP Djvu from this archive page.
3. Right-click on decrypt_STOPDjvu.exe and click “Run as Administrator“. Windows may prompt “Do you want to allow this app…” just click Yes to continue.
4. By default, the tool will pre-populate the locations where encrypted files were identified. To include other directories, simply click Add Folder button.
5. To start recovering files infected by Lokd ransomware, click on Decrypt button to start the procedure. The interface will display status of the current decryption process.
We will update this section once the full decryption tool is on hand. In the meantime, please try other options below if the above procedure is not not effective.
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to Lokd ransomware infection. To use this tool and recover files affected by the virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current encrypted files on the computer.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by Lokd Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by Lokd ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to Lokd ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export…
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.