LockLock crypto-virus is a hazardous malware that was made to encrypt target files on the computer. Unlike most recent ransomware, LockLock is based on open source project called EDA2. Originally, it was developed for educational purposes. Researches never intend it to be the basis of LockLock virus, currently infecting a number of computers globally.
Trojans and malicious files are the common source of LockLock infection. Once executed on the computer, this malware will drop some files and create a registry entry, which will run it every time Windows starts. Then, LockLock drops text file containing contact details and instructions on how you can obtain tool to decrypt files. Similarly, LockLock also displays ransom image on your desktop stating the following:
Your computer has been hacked!
All files in your computer has been encrypted by RSA key
You cannot open and read content in file
To unlock your files you must download tool “Decrypted LockLock virus”
As what other ransomware does, this virus will look for target files and append the extension with .locklock. Obviously, there is no application associated on such extension, therefore, there is no way you can run or open the file. The only way to regain access is by completing the decryption process as stated on ransom note.
However, unlike most ransomware, LockLock never provide ransom amount. It even does not state that victim requires to pay for the decryption key. Authors of LockLock ransomware instruction are clear. They want to communicate with their victims either via email of Skype.
As of now, there is no available LockLock decryption tool. There are various ways of recovering files provided you have a backup copy of it using Windows features like Windows Previous Version or Shadow Explorer.
How to Remove LockLock Ransomware
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove LockLock virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
Though affected files may be impossible to decrypt due to complexity of the encryption, you can still try recovery method like Shadow Explorer or Previous Version as described below.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds LockLock Ransomware and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for LockLock Ransomware’s leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for LockLock Ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all LockLock Ransomware entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that LockLock Ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Recover .LockLock Files
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to LockLock Ransomware infection. To use this tool and recover files affected by the virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current encrypted files on the computer.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by LockLock Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by LockLock Ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to LockLock Ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export…
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.