The list of adware that was designed to specifically hit Macintosh system is getting longer especially with the addition of new member called LauncherSetup. This type of computer threat is carried around by different dubious freeware or shareware. Mac users may get hold of this application via sites that does not count as trusted software provider. Therefore, it is vital to download freeware only from trusted sources to avoid getting the LauncherSetup adware.
The moment that LauncherSetup app is inside the Mac computer, users are going to encounter different kinds of troubles on their internet browser program. Here is some of it:
Pop-up advertisements – Significant amount of advertisement are going to flood the screen if the browser is infected with LauncherSetup. Like older versions as RotatorBox, SkilledPanelSearch, and RecordMapper, this new threat was made in the same objective of generating online profit through ad display.
Browser redirects – In relation to pop-up ads, LauncherSetup is also capable of redirecting browser program to different sites. It aims to generate online revenue by referring internet traffic to client’s websites.
Software freezes – LauncherSetup adware runs different tasks on the browser that is known to be using huge amount of system resources. Because of this, the affected internet application may have hard time processing the commands, which may result to software freezes. At times, this situation may end up on crashing the browser program and operating system.
Browser alerts – Internet browser programs have built-in security features to inform users about malicious apps that are trying to access sensitive information stored on the browser. In that case, Mac user may receive a warning that LauncherSetup is attempting to collect personal data such as IP address, username, contact details, and so on. Mac users may also receive a warning that “LauncherSetup will damage your computer.”
Search hijacking – LauncherSetup adware is able to hijack the default search engine to track web user’s online searching activities. It replaces the current preferences on the browser and appoints Yahoo to reveal the final search outcome. Some Mac user dubbed this as Yahoo redirect virus.
Eliminating the Threat
It is a fact that LauncherSetup app is a threat to online user’s privacy and security. Web users may end up visiting malicious websites that are common sources of viruses, adware, or malware. Its tracking capabilities are endangering web user’s private data. Once attackers were able to get hold of the personal information, they may misuses it on other online fraudulent activities. These are the main reasons why computer security experts are advising to remove LauncherSetup as soon as it was spotted on the browser.
Procedures in getting rid of this suspicious browser extension are outlined below. Be sure to scan the computer with recommended anti-malware and anti-virus tools to delete even hidden items associated with LauncherSetup adware.
Procedures to Remove LauncherSetup from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer. Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
To successfully remove LauncherSetup from your Mac, follow the steps below:
- Quick Fix : Scan the computer with the Combo Cleaner tool.
- Step 1 : Uninstall LauncherSetup from the Applications folder.
- Step 2 : Remove malicious browser extensions.
- Step 3 : Delete LauncherSetup files from your Mac computer.
- Step 4 : Run another scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
- Step 5 : Remove LauncherSetup entries from internet browsers.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like LauncherSetup. You may need to purchase the full version if you want to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until your antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates.
6. Next, click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing LauncherSetup.
7. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete LauncherSetup from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find LauncherSetup or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag LauncherSetup to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to LauncherSetup
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located LauncherSetup, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed LauncherSetup
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- LauncherSetup Daemon
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing LauncherSetup to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- LauncherSetup Daemon
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to LauncherSetup adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download the most recent version if one is available. This is necessary for finding recent malware threats, including LauncherSetup.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on the Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, and LauncherSetup is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click the Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove LauncherSetup from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to the Safari Menu located in the upper left-hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under the General tab, navigate to the Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that the "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove LauncherSetup from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Input the following on the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area on the sidebar.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Choose the unwanted homepage, and click on Ellipses (three dots) and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your homepage, replacing the LauncherSetup setting. Click Save.
- To set the default search engine, go to the Search Engine area from the sidebar link.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Select the questionable Search Engine and click on Ellipses (three dots). ClickDelete. to remove it from the list.
- Go back to the Search Engine area and choose a valid entry (i.e., Google) from 'Search engine used in the address bar'.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- Click Home on the sidebar area.
- Under "New Windows and Tabs", you may choose Firefox Home (Default) or Custom URLs. - Input the desired URL to replace LauncherSetup settings if you chose Custom URLs.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on the sidebar to display the settings.
- Under the Default Search Engine list, please select one (i.e., Google).
- On the same page, you have the option to Remove unwanted search engines.
Optional : If you are unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some users complain that there is no way to change browser settings because they are grayed out by LauncherSetup. In such a situation, it is important to check if there is an unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select LauncherSetup or any relevant profile from the left pane. See the image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click the minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to the image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with LauncherSetup.