Browser that involves in aggressive pop-ups and redirects of Kromtech.net website may be under the control of malicious code or probably Adware. In this case, the questionable applet is possibly embedded inside the internet application and kick offs browser redirects from time to time if it sense that Mac computer is connected to internet, or whenever user is surfing the web.
The specific Kromtech.net site that frequently appears on the compromised internet browser program like Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari was made to promote a suspicious system optimization and security program called MacKeeper. Obviously, people behind the Kromtech.net are the same group that handles the questionable tool and they are relying on this browser redirect scheme as additional deployment method.
Apart from this malicious advertising campaign, MacKeeper is also found to be bundled to various freeware or shareware that are hosted on several websites. This scheme can easily load the rogue tool onto computer if user executes the free software. The same thing also happens when web user click on any button presented on Kromtech.net.
Although Kromtech.net website states that it only runs “free cleanup analysis”, what user may obtain are not just tools but also malicious codes that from time to time will show up on the browser, promoting MacKeeper or any similar questionable system optimizer and security product.
Various Mac users’ complaints about this intrusive pop-ups emerging from various sub domains as app4.kromtech.net, app5.kromtech.net and app6 third level domain. Fortunately, the originating sub domain is irrelevant with the removal steps we are providing on this page. Use the procedures to remove the pop-up whether it is from Kromtech.net or any invasive web sites that keeps on bombarding the browser with various redirects and pop-ups.
Procedures to Remove Kromtech.net from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove malicious browser hijacker from internet application.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser hijacker like Kromtech.net. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Kromtech.net.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Kromtech.net
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the hijacker. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Kromtech.net or any suspicious objects, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Kromtech.net.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Kromtech.net is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Delete Kromtech.net Login Items
Some browser hijacker may also install login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Kromtech.net during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Kromtech.net.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Kromtech.net or any suspicious entries from the list and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
Step 5: Block Kromtech.net Pop-up Notification from Google Chrome
The small box appearing on sidebar or taskbar bearing the web address of Kromtech.net is called Push Notifications. Most of the time, removing the browser extension that enforces it is enough to stop the pop-ups. Hence, if Kromtech.net pop-ups persistently appears, this guide is helpful in blocking it manually.
1. On the address bar, please type the following strings and press Return on keyboard:
2. Navigate to "Allow" section and locate Kromtech.net.
3. Click on More Actions button (3 dots) and select Block from the list. You may also choose Remove but blocking is more preferred to avoid encountering the same in the future.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by Kromtech.net. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select Kromtech.net or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with Kromtech.net.