Instant Ransomware 2.0 is a computer threat that aims on locking the majority of computer user’s files with a complex technique. Normally, it targets important data on the computer like documents, photos, images, videos, audio, zip files, and many more. The only data that it does not encrypt are system files and application data. The motive of this virus is to extort money from victims by letting them pay for the special key that is needed in order to unlock the files.
What is the source of Instant Ransomware 2.0 virus?
The threat is considered as computer virus and the method that attackers are using in spreading ransomware are very similar to most threats. It can reach the computer uninvited via phishing emails, malicious links from social media and blog posts, cracked applications, Trojan infection, or dubious advertisements.
With the mentioned sources of the ransomware, it was found that the bulk percentage of ransomware infection was due to spam emails where the virus is attached and pretending as legitimate document. Carelessness of recipient in opening suspicious emails often leads to infection and therefore, computer security experts suggest that users should delete unexpected and suspicious emails.
Risks of Infection
Once Instant Ransomware 2.0 enters the computer, it will scout the drive for target files and consequently use a complex algorithm when encrypting them. In addition, the virus can disable certain Windows functions like Task Manager, Command Prompt, and any local file recovery options. It also drops several malicious files on the computer especially under Windows and its System folder. To have an auto start function, Instant Ransomware 2.0 creates a registry entry that runs the virus script each time that Windows boot-up.
Just as what happens in any ransomware infection, attackers are going to inform computer users about the encryption and provides a screen message containing the following text:
Uh, Oh, your files are encrypted!
There is no way to recover your data without a special key.
Pay for code: InstantRansom@gmail.com
No way to Escape!
Well, you have only a matter of time before everything is gone.
Warning, do not restart your computer or else, it will be destroyed!
Do not try to enable task manager.
Do not try to enable Command Prompt.
Don’t restart your PC!
Do not do anything!
Make sure you check payment first.
[expand title=”Technical Data of Instant Ransomware 2.0 Ransomware”]
|Threat Name||Instant Ransomware 2.0, Cobra|
|Threat Type||Crypto-virus, File Locker, Encryption Virus, Screen-Locker|
|Discovered by||@SiRi and Alexgamer5516|
|Virus Alias||Ad-Aware : Gen:Variant.Razy.804668|
ALYac : Gen:Variant.Razy.804668
Avast : Win32:RansomX-gen
BitDefender : Gen:Variant.Razy.804668
Emsisoft : Gen:Variant.Razy.804668 (B)
eScan : Gen:Variant.Razy.804668
ESET-NOD32 : A Variant Of MSIL/Filecoder.ACE
Fortinet : MSIL/Filecoder.ACE!tr
Ikarus : Trojan.MSIL.LockScreen
Kaspersky : HEUR:Trojan.MSIL.Diztakun.gen
Malwarebytes : Ransom.Instant.MSIL
Microsoft : Program:Win32/Wacapew.C!ml
Sophos : Mal/Generic-S
Symantec : ML.Attribute.HighConfidence
TrendMicro-HouseCall : TROJ_GEN.R002H09LK20
ZoneAlarm : HEUR:Trojan.MSIL.Diztakun.gen
For complete details including full detection list, hash file, file names, and technical behavior (registry actions, shell commands, and processes) of Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware, please refer to this VirusTotal page.
Backup your files
One important step before proceeding with the procedures below is to backup your files. Ransomware are not the same. Each has its unique sets of payloads aside from encrypting the files with complex method. Others tend to delete the infected files after certain period, while others keep them concealed on hidden places. In addition, ransomware decryption tools are not guaranteed to be perfect, there are instances that files suffer from damages during the decryption process.
So, create a backup copy of your entire Instant Ransomware 2.0 encrypted files right now.
Instant Ransomware 2.0 Ransomware Removal Guide
First thing to do is remove the Instant Ransomware 2.0 virus before attempting the decryption. Remember that as long as the ransomware is active, it will repeatedly encrypt the files on the compromised computer.
Infection of Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransom virus is dangerous to the system because it can inject files that runs each time Windows starts. To prevent the malicious files from loading, Windows operating system must run with minimal process and it can be done through SafeMode With Networking.
Quick Fix - Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of ransomware like Instant Ransomware 2.0 through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file, please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like Instant Ransomware 2.0, click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if your are comfortable to manually get rid of the threat and malicious items linked with it.
Stage 1 : Temporarily Disable System Restore on Windows OS
Because Instant Ransomware 2.0 and relevant virus is capable of reinstating itself by exploiting the System Restore of Windows, we suggests that you temporary disable System Restore while executing the steps. This option is also helpful to effectively run a full scan on the computer.Do not forget to enable back System Restore after completing the removal of Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware. This feature is vital in reinstating the operating system to previous normal working condition in case of problems or conflicts occurs.
Stage 2 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 3 : Scan the Computer with Sophos Antivirus
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove Instant Ransomware 2.0 virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
To remove Instant Ransomware 2.0 automatically, scanning the computer with this efficient anti-malware tool is suggested. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering hazardous ransomware like Instant Ransomware 2.0.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this virus scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware and other relevant viruses.
6. Click the Start Scanning button to inspect the computer. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Instant Ransomware 2.0 and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the virus, please proceed to succeeding procedures below.
Stage 4 : Double-check with Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message "This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product." You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransom virus entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Recover Files from Instant Ransomware 2.0 Ransomware Infection
On this section, we will provide ways to decrypt files infected with Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware. Aside from dedicated decryption software and common tools, other options for file recovery are provided. As much as we can, we will update this area whenever there is new and more suitable decryption tool was made available.
Decrypting Instant Ransomware 2.0 infected files with Emsisoft Tools
This service from Emsisoft is helpful in unlocking encrypted files without paying the ransom. It gives three ways to detect the ransomware and provide suitable recovery method:
Upload ransom note – This is usually the .txt or .hta files that was generated by Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware.
Upload the encrypted file – The actual encrypted file. Choose the one that is less than 8MB in size.
Contact information – Enter the email address or any links provided as it appears in the ransom note of Instant Ransomware 2.0 virus.
After submitting any of the appropriate data, Emsisoft will attempt to identify the ransomware and provide keys if there are available.
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to ransomware infection. To use this tool as "recovery option" for files encypted by Instant Ransomware 2.0 virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current locked files on the computer. The tool is not actually recovering files encrypted by Instant Ransomware 2.0. Instead, it restores files from backup copy.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by Instant Ransomware 2.0 Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export...
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.
How to protect the computer from Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware?
After the removal of the ransomware, it is important to prevent similar incident from happening again. In order to protect the computer effectively, computer user must know how Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware was able to infect the computer. To minimize the possible infection, staying away from the common sources of this virus is crucial.
How Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware can infect your computer?
The method of infecting the computers was found to be similar as other common viruses. Though, ransomware like Instant Ransomware 2.0 is seen to have efficient deployment via spam email messages, web injectors, malicious software installers, misleading online advertisements, and through another virus infection.
Once the virus is executed, it immediately infects the system. Then, Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware communicates to remote server so that unique key can be generated for the specific computer. After acquiring the key, it starts to decrypt target files using a complex method that is almost unbreakable. On the last stage of the attack, Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware demands for ransom money as payment for the decryption tool. To further understand the attack scheme, we have included an infographic below.
Securing the computer against ransomware attack
Do a Regular File Back-up - Always backup your data on a separate storage devices such as external hard drives, optical discs, or online backup services.
Keep Your Software Updated - Make sure that you have the latest software updates especially on the operating system. Recent updates often contain vital security patches to help protect the computer against all forms of threats.
Install a Security Program - Protect the computer with effective anti-virus application using efficient real-time scanning. Regularly run a complete scan to check the computer for presence of malware.
Protect your files with Controlled Folder Access (Windows 10)
For Windows 10 users, aside from protecting the computer using anti-virus or anti-malware programs, one way to protect against ransomware attack is by using Controlled Folder Access. This feature of Windows Defender Security Center may not prevent the Instant Ransomware 2.0 ransomware infection, but it can protect the folder and files in general. Follow the steps to enable Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10.
1. Go to Windows 10 Taskbar and search for Windows Defender Security Center.
2. Open Windows Defender Security Center and click on Virus & Threat Protection icon.
3. On next window, please click on Ransomware Protection.
4. Under Controlled Folder Access section, switch the slider to On. That will enable the feature and protect the folder against Instant Ransomware 2.0 or any type of ransomware.
5. Click on Protected Folderslink to include additional folders. Make sure that folders where important files are located should be included in the list.
Certain programs maybe blocked by Controlled Folder Access feature. To fix the issue, simply have the specific program to be white listed.
1. Under Protected Folders, click Allow an app through controlled folder access.
2. Next, click the Add an allowed app and include the target executable file.
This Controlled Folder Access feature is one way to protect files against Instant Ransomware 2.0. Other important things to do in keeping files safe against ransomware is through early prevention like keeping programs updated, install an efficient security program, an do regular file backup on a separate media drive.