Sometimes, the operation of the internet browser application is affected by an extension. It can be beneficial or make the browsing experience of online user worse especially if the one currently installed is a questionable browser extension. One example of this dubious browser extension is called InitialMachine. It is endorse as a tool for browsers on Mac that can make online browsing of web users far more better than before. InitialMachine is specifically aiming on the improvement of online search and claiming to provide fast and useful results. Hence, user may experience the exact opposite one InitialMachine app becomes part of the internet program.
InitialMachine is a PUP
InitialMachine is comparable to previous editions as UpgradeCommand, AppEnviroment, and DevModule. These programs are considered as potentially unwanted program for penetrating the computer using different misleading tactics. For one, it is forcing the installation process by being embedded on freeware or shareware. Installing this kind of application gives the way for PUP to be installed without the consent of Mac user.
On other times, Mac users may acquire InitialMachine through bogus software update that deceives web user through misleading pop-up advertisements masquerading as system alert. It produces claims that obsolete program is causing issues and conflicts and therefore, Mac user must download the software update in order to fix the issue. Unfortunately, a mistake on installing this bogus software update will result to the discreet installation of InitialMachine app.
InitialMachine is an adware
The suspicious browser extension is also categorized as adware. It means that InitialMachine app can produce different types of advertisements on the computer. Pop-ups, redirects, push notifications are just some of the aggressive marketing objects that will continuously appear on the browser and disturbs web users browsing session.
Ads by InitialMachine are source from an underground network. Therefore, these advertisements are often malicious and links from it may divert the browser program to various malicious websites that are related to online gambling, adult sites, fake online survey, phishing, or scam sites.
It is definitely a necessity to remove InitialMachine from the computer to restore security and privacy of Mac users. To help with the effective removal, we are providing steps on this page along with free anti-virus and anti-malware tools that are effective in removing malicious items from Mac computers.
Procedures to Remove InitialMachine from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like InitialMachine. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing InitialMachine.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete InitialMachine from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find InitialMachine or any unwanted program.
4. Drag InitialMachine to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to InitialMachine
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located InitialMachine, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed InitialMachine
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- UpgradeCommand, AppEnviroment
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing InitialMachine to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- UpgradeCommand, AppEnviroment
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to InitialMachine adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including InitialMachine.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, InitialMachine is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove InitialMachine from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove InitialMachine from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing InitialMachine. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace InitialMachine settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by InitialMachine. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select InitialMachine or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with InitialMachine.