iMedia Start is a Google Chrome extension that asserts to enhance your online browsing experience. New tab integrated by this program on browser claims to help you explore various obtainable media. In addition, iMedia Start offers stunning customizable homepage backgrounds to match your personality.
In general, iMedia Start requires user intervention before it can be loaded onto the browser. However, in most situations, this code is bundled to certain freeware and third party applications. Installing such free software similarly loads iMedia Start Extension onto Google Chrome browser without the knowledge of computer user. With this intrusive ploy, some users considered iMedia Start as some form of virus that invaded their computer.
Technically, browser extensions including iMedia Start are not categorized as computer virus. Its main objective is to add certain features on targeted browser application. This functional extension may be useful; however, there are still some downsides on its presence. iMedia Start forcibly changes homepage settings and default search engine without asking for user’s permission. This extension may also provide advertisements on browser that some people finds too annoying.
Similar to most unwanted extensions, iMedia Start may also do some monitoring on your browsing activities. It logs visited websites, search inquiries, and other vital data that can be utilized for future online marketing schemes.
If you require to remove iMedia Start from the browser, we have outlined a basic guide on this page. Also included are tools that you can use to scan the system for presence of malicious entities.
How to Remove iMedia Start
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall iMedia Start
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove iMedia Start or IEnjoyApps entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to iMedia Start. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted iMedia Start from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of iMedia Start on the affected browser.
Step 4: Remove iMedia Start from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove iMedia Start from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete iMedia Start by clicking on Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of iMedia Start removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from iMedia Start. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down to bottom, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings button to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by iMedia Start. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also run Chrome Cleanup function from this page. An integrated tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.