Home.prontovideoconverter.com is a typical home page hijacker that uses unknown search engine. It can override start-up page and new tab on Safari and Google Chrome browser. If you have Home.prontovideoconverter.com Mac OS X system, it only indicates that potentially unwanted program is taking command on your browser settings. Home.prontovideoconverter.com has this goal of replacing the default search engine with its own due to ads that it will display on the search result. This is very profitable as far as adware makers are concerned. They do not care even if having those invasive ads are annoying to computer users. For this main reason, many users perceived Home.prontovideoconverter.com as some kind of virus attack.
Technically, Home.prontovideoconverter.com is not regarded as computer virus. In fact, it is just a search module for unwanted apps called Pronto Video Converter. Even though majority of adware behaves like a virus, they were not made to be infectious. In particular, Home.prontovideoconverter.com does not spread on its own. It needed a carrier like freeware or shareware. Adware authors used to bundle this browser hijacker to other programs and made its installation unseen. While installing freeware, Home.prontovideoconverter.com also gets installed in the background without taking user’s permission.
Home.prontovideoconverter.com sources like freeware, games, suspicious tools, bogus updates, and fake players can be obtained by visiting malicious web sites or even dubious links circulated on social media sites. No matter how you have acquired Home.prontovideoconverter.com, the effect of this browser hijacker is inconvenient to your online browsing activities.
Even if Home.prontovideoconverter.com is not considered as computer virus, security experts still insist on removing it from the computer as soon as possible. It does not only bring annoyances, most of all, this adware can put your privacy at risks.
Online Security Scanner Report for home.prontovideoconverter.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Sept. 19, 2016|
|Link is safe||Feedback: No data||Sept. 19, 2016|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No data||Sept. 19, 2016|
Procedures to Remove Home.prontovideoconverter.com Adware from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
QuickFix: Instant Removal
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP’s. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser adware that causes annoyances. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
Click here to Download Combo Cleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Double-click the downloaded file.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on “Start Combo Scan“.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Home.prontovideoconverter.com
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware i.e. Pronto Video Converter, Genieo, SearchAssist. To do this, please follow the procedure depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Home.prontovideoconverter.com, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Force Quit the Application:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit. In this case, try to look for Pronto Video Converter or Genieo.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. Proceed to the next steps to delete files and malicious objects.
Step 3: Delete Malicious Files that have installed Home.prontovideoconverter.com
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder…
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Home.prontovideoconverter.com to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step2, number 4. Drag them to the Trash.
10. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
Step 4: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Home.prontovideoconverter.com.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Home.prontovideoconverter.com is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5: Remove Home.prontovideoconverter.com from Safari Home Page and Search
1. Open Apple menu and select Force Quit. You can also press Command + Option + Esc on the keyboard to access this feature.
2. From the list of applications, select Safari, and then click on Force Quit button. Wait for Safari browser to close.
3. Now, hold down Shift key and launch Safari. Do this to avoid opening any unwanted window from Home.prontovideoconverter.com.
4. Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
5. Under General tab, type the desired URL on Home Page area.
6. To set the default search engine, please go back to Safari Preferences.
7. Click on Search and select the desired search engine from the list to override Home.prontovideoconverter.com custom search engine.