Grrreat is a disturbing adware that is normally bundled to some freeware as means for distribution. This adware is part of a collection of various adware and unwanted programs packed into one installer file. The host file is commonly unpopular software like free games, utilities, media player, file downloader, and so on.
Most adware, including Grrreat gets access on the computer when freeware is installed via ‘Recommended’ setup process. Through this option, user is allowing the hosts file to load all adware that comes with it. Without an exception, risky Grrreat adware will be installed without full consent of user.
Grrreat is just a mimic of Smilewide and Boogaclicks. These programs are actually very much similar. While changing names and official sites, publisher of Grrreat and all its variants retain the same features and functionalities. They are offered as a tool that enhances web browsing experience. Once user installs any of the versions, it adds Desktop Widget on the computer that allows user to Search, Connect, Convert Measures, and Translate in the quickest way.
Presence of Grrreat dramatically reduces system performance. Aside from its resource intensive application, ads by Grrreat likewise floods the browser. It issues pop-up ads, banners, and sometimes redirects the browser to various online marketing pages.
When you are seeing Grrreat on the computer, we can assume that potentially unwanted program is present. You are facing high risks for having such dubious application that can track every browsing activity on the computer. Therefore, we suggest that anti-malware and anti-virus scan should run on the system. Below are free yet efficient tools that you can utilize to scan the PC and remove Grrreat adware from the browser.
Online Security Scanner Report for grrreat.info:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: July 11, 2016|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No Data||Updated: July 11, 2016|
|Currently Safe||Ratings: 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes||Updated: July 11, 2016|
How to Remove Grrreat
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Grrreat
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Grrreat or Linkury entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Grrreat. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Grrreat from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Grrreat on the affected browser.
Step 4: Reset Internet Browser to completely remove Grrreat
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Grrreat. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Grrreat. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. Click on the Menu (three-bar icon) located on the upper right side corner of the browser.
3. From the pull-down menu, click on Settings.
4. Once your are on chrome://settings/ tab, click on ‘Show advanced settings…‘ at the bottom of the window.
5. Navigate to the bottom of the page and click on Reset browser settings button.
6. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Grrreat extension.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Grrreat.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Reset Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Grrreat should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Grrreat and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see add-on removal from Internet Explorer.