Greatmacsoft.pro is a suspicious web address that promotes a questionable Mac security and optimization tool called MacKeeper. The program exhibits aggressive pattern for online endorsement and aside from Greatmacsoft.pro, other intrusive web address that is associated to its operations are Cleaningformac.com and Fastermac.world. It is obvious from the content that main purpose for the publication of these sites is to market the program as valuable Mac utility. Hence, it was assesses by security experts as suspicious because of the intrusive approach to introduce the application to computer users. Mac users are normally redirected to Greatmacsoft.pro upon paying a visit to websites that runs malicious advertisements.
Some Mac users claims that Greatmacsoft.pro simply pop-ups on the computer once they open the internet browser application. In this case, an adware may have gotten inside via the installation of software bundles. The objective of this unidentified adware is to modify various internet settings to kick-off the pop-ups and redirects that aim to land user’s browser to Greatmacsoft.pro or any website with the same purpose of promoting the questionable security and optimization app.
Safari, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox are the usual target of this redirect. Therefore, if any of these browsers endlessly shows Greatmacsoft.pro either by pop-up or by redirect, the first thing to do is to scan the computer with virus and malware removal tools as stated on the procedures below. Running a thorough scan will also eliminate the unwanted extension from the browser program. Please execute the guide in exact order to make sure that no more malicious objects associated to Greatmacsoft.pro will be left inside the Mac computer.
Procedures to Remove Greatmacsoft.pro from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove malicious browser hijacker from internet application.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser hijacker like Greatmacsoft.pro. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Greatmacsoft.pro.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Greatmacsoft.pro
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the hijacker. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Greatmacsoft.pro or any suspicious objects, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Greatmacsoft.pro.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Greatmacsoft.pro is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Delete Greatmacsoft.pro Login Items
Some browser hijacker may also install login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Greatmacsoft.pro during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Greatmacsoft.pro.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Greatmacsoft.pro or any suspicious entries from the list and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
Step 5: Block Greatmacsoft.pro Pop-up Notification from Google Chrome
The small box appearing on sidebar or taskbar bearing the web address of Greatmacsoft.pro is called Push Notifications. Most of the time, removing the browser extension that enforces it is enough to stop the pop-ups. Hence, if Greatmacsoft.pro pop-ups persistently appears, this guide is helpful in blocking it manually.
1. On the address bar, please type the following strings and press Return on keyboard:
2. Navigate to "Allow" section and locate Greatmacsoft.pro.
3. Click on More Actions button (3 dots) and select Block from the list. You may also choose Remove but blocking is more preferred to avoid encountering the same in the future.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by Greatmacsoft.pro. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select Greatmacsoft.pro or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with Greatmacsoft.pro.