GoWebSearchDaemon is a questionable browser extension that specifically targeting internet applications on Mac OS computers. Several harms may arise once GoWebSearchDaemon is installed and some of which includes exposing of web user’s personal data to attackers, displaying excessive ads, and forwarding browser program to different malicious sites. Although web user’s are not fond of acquiring unknown programs like GoWebSearchDaemon, it can still sets foot on Mac computer via several deceitful deployment scheme that is being utilized by its developers.
How GoWebSearchDaemon enters Mac?
The presence of GoWebSearchDaemon app on the computer is mostly without the consent of Mac users. Though, they play part in its installation while loading a suspicious software obtained from insecure sources like malicious file sharing sites, torrent platforms, and cracked software repositories. During the installation of the dubious freeware, GoWebSearchDaemon similarly runs a simultaneous setup behind Mac user’s sight. Installation of this extra program was intentionally made hidden to avoid any disruption.
After the complete installation of the freeware, there is no doubt that GoWebSearchDaemon likewise wraps up the integration to target internet program whether it is Safari, Google Chrome, or Firefox. Although it completes a discreet installation without a notice from Mac user, the security in place will not go blind on this adware invasion. In fact, several seconds after the installation, Mac OS will pop-up a prompt with the following message:
“GoWebSearchDaemon” will damage your computer. This file was downloaded from an unknown date. Report malware to Apple to protect other users.
Prevention and Removal
When installing malicious freeware, Mac users are unaware that GoWebSearchDaemon also loads along the way and the sad thing is, operating system has security feature to avoid this instance but was always neglected. By running the setup process on Advanced or Custom mode, Mac user may have find a way to view the freeware inclusions and was able to exclude unnecessary apps from installing. By not taking this precaution of scrutinizing the download app and proceeding with the traditional way, Mac users ended up accidentally loading GoWebSearchDaemon or any similar adware.
As stated, the presence of GoWebSearchDaemon on Mac is not beneficial in any way, user has no other option but to remove it from the computer. For this reason, we made a simple but effective guide on this page together with useful virus and malware scanner.
Procedures to Remove GoWebSearchDaemon from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like GoWebSearchDaemon. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing GoWebSearchDaemon.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete GoWebSearchDaemon from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find GoWebSearchDaemon or any unwanted program.
4. Drag GoWebSearchDaemon to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to GoWebSearchDaemon
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located GoWebSearchDaemon, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed GoWebSearchDaemon
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- GoSearch, GoWebSearch Daemon
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing GoWebSearchDaemon to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- GoSearch, GoWebSearch Daemon
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to GoWebSearchDaemon adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including GoWebSearchDaemon.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, GoWebSearchDaemon is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove GoWebSearchDaemon from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove GoWebSearchDaemon from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing GoWebSearchDaemon. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace GoWebSearchDaemon settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by GoWebSearchDaemon. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select GoWebSearchDaemon or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with GoWebSearchDaemon.