If GoUnzip search occupies browser’s homepage and new tab, we can assume that computer is already under the control of potentially unwanted program (PUP). This browser alteration can be attributed to the installation of malicious applications like freeware or shareware. You may not know it, but GoUnzip is packed to free programs that are served by several websites. Bundling it to download manager, free games, tools, and fake software update is another trick to deploy GoUnzip quickly.
As an official homepage of Go Unzip Toolbar, this hijacker do not come alone. Aside from the mentioned program, toolbars and new tab are definitely included in the installation. It is obvious in this infection that GoUnzip and company occupy almost every function on the browser. Author of this adware mean to convince user to use its search engine and other features habitually. In return, GoUnzip search on homepage generates revenue through advertisements and promotion that it delivers.
With above mentioned irregularities, some user believes that GoUnzip is a virus. Technically, it is under the category of Adware or Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP). This group is less hazardous and does not spread on its own. It needs user’s intervention to be able to install components on the browser. You may not see it coming because it conceals itself to another software installation.
GoUnzip may not be as harmful as viruses or malware, but you must be aware that it is still too risky having it on the PC. It can track your Internet activities and gather sensitive information. Thus, we suggest quick removal of GoUnzip.
Online Security Scanner Report for gounzip.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Dec. 01, 2016|
|Link is safe||Feedback: No data||Dec. 01, 2016|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No data||Dec. 01, 2016|
How to Remove GoUnzip Search
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall GoUnzip
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove GoUnzip, MyWay, or MindSpark entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to GoUnzip. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted GoUnzip from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of GoUnzip on the affected browser.
Step 4: Remove GoUnzip Extension and Add-on
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with GoUnzip. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Remove GoUnzip from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove GoUnzip Homepage from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete GoUnzip Extension by clicking on Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of GoUnzip extension removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from GoUnzip. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Show advanced settings…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset Settings section.
5. Click on Reset Settings button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by GoUnzip. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also download Software Removal Tool from this page. A stand-alone reset tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.
Remove GoUnzip Adware from Firefox
Option 1 – Delete Add-on from Firefox Browser
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On the address bar, type the following strings and press Enter on keyboard: about:addons
3. Under Add-ons Manager, look for GoUnzip and click associated Remove button. See image below for reference.
4. Firefox will confirm your actions by clicking Yes. Please make sure that you have selected to Remove the home page and restore my previous setting.
5. You may now restart Firefox browser.
Option 2 – Refresh Mozilla Firefox
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to GoUnzip. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Reset Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. GoUnzip should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Remove GoUnzip Adware from Internet Explorer
GoUnzip loads on Internet Explorer when you install the main program. Therefore, uninstalling it from Add/Remove Programs (Step 1) should also remove its extension from the browser. If in case GoUnzip still exists, please restore Internet Explorer settings to its default value.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by GoUnzip and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see add-on removal from Internet Explorer.