Gobrowser.xyz is a suspicious homepage that triggers intrusive advertisements and browser redirects. This operation is an indication that Gobrowser.xyz is a potentially unwanted program (PUP). When this kind of application is running on the computer, there is a high chance of further implications specifically on browser functions.
How Gobrowser.xyz affects computers?
Gobrowser.xyz is a kind of a browser hijacker. It typically modifies web browser settings. Alterations take place without the authorization of online users. For instance, instead of Google or Bing as the usual search engine, Gobrowser.xyz will input own address as the new default setting. The home page and new tab page change to this URL as well.
Moreover, Gobrowser.xyz will begin to track browsing habits of web users. It can even collect online user’s real-life information saved on computer. Such capability of Gobrowser.xyz is very crucial to the safety of the device as well as the privacy and security of the online users. There is a big possibility that it could reach to cyber criminal’s possession and misuse it for other purposes. This ability of Gobrowser.xyz alone can explain why it is a threat to computers and web users.
Ads and redirects deployed by Gobrowser.xyz were very disturbing. It comes out anywhere on the screen causing to diminish browsing experience of internet users. Usually, it overlays page contents limiting the view of web visitors. Annoying advertisements could possibly contain deceptive promotions or frauds. Pop-ups that come out persistently can redirect online users into dubious websites.
Gobrowser.xyz browser infection
Gobrowser.xyz is an unwanted application. There are two possible ways on how developers get to market their malicious program. First is by clicking ads from frequently visited sites. There are websites displaying intrusive ads, such adverts can perform an automatic installation of PUP or adware straight to the operating system. Second is via software download from the internet. There are bundles of applications available, which is free of charge. Freeware typically includes PUP or adware along with it. When web users install a particular app without carefully checking the whole process, it might include Gobrowser.xyz or any unwanted app on the installation.
Gobrowser.xyz Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting browser hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Quick Fix - Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of browser hijacker like Gobrowser.xyz through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file, please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like Gobrowser.xyz, click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete Gobrowser.xyz hijacker including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows includes Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if your are comfortable to manually get rid of the threat and malicious items linked with it.
Step 1 : Delete Gobrowser.xyz Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Gobrowser.xyz.
Remove Gobrowser.xyz Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Gobrowser.xyz or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall Gobrowser.xyz Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Gobrowser.xyz and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that Gobrowser.xyz is also gone from the homepage.
Remove Gobrowser.xyz Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Gobrowser.xyz from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete unwanted entry from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Gobrowser.xyz is still present on the IE browser and there are still unwanted homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select Gobrowser.xyz or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove Gobrowser.xyz automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-virus tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like Gobrowser.xyz that slows down online browsing activities.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Gobrowser.xyz.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Gobrowser.xyz and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the Gobrowser.xyz browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Gobrowser.xyz on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces hijacking, redirects, and pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Gobrowser.xyz.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Gobrowser.xyz. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with the hijacker.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by Gobrowser.xyz. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Gobrowser.xyz. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Gobrowser.xyz. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of Gobrowser.xyz.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Gobrowser.xyz extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Gobrowser.xyz. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Gobrowser.xyz should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Gobrowser.xyz and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.