“Get rid of Junk Files” pop-up is one message that Mac user may receive when visiting malicious websites that was published to promote a questionable tool called Cleanup My Mac. Receiving the message does not necessary indicates that computer is already infected with malware. Though, if “Get rid of Junk Files” pop-up message continue to persists right at the initialization of browser program and never ceases when browsing various websites, this indicates that a local malicious code is triggering the pop-up. In these cases, scanning the computer with valid security application is highly recommended.
There are several ways how the dubious code manages to enter the computer and one that is most favored by attackers in deploying such threat is via software bundles. Seeing “Get rid of Junk Files” pop-up may instantly occur on the browser after downloading and installing questionable apps that has a number of surplus adware inside it. Because this type of hazardous applications comes in bundle, only the host program is presented to user, while majority of unwanted contents is installed without their consent.
Other ways to spread the harmful code that causes “Get rid of Junk Files” to pop-up on Mac computer is through malicious advertisements and links from various online sources. It is obvious that taking extra caution when downloading files or opening links is the principal method to prevent any harmful code that causes “Get rid of Junk Files” or any relevant fake alerts to appear on the computer. Regularly scanning Mac system with legitimate anti-virus and anti-malware tool also helps in maintaining the safety of the computer.
With regards to removal of malware or objects that kicks off “Get rid of Junk Files” pop-up, please execute the procedures as outlined on this page.
Procedures to Remove "Get rid of Junk Files" from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove malicious browser hijacker from internet application.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser hijacker like "Get rid of Junk Files". You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing "Get rid of Junk Files".
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to "Get rid of Junk Files"
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the hijacker. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located "Get rid of Junk Files" or any suspicious objects, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including "Get rid of Junk Files".
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, "Get rid of Junk Files" is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Delete "Get rid of Junk Files" Login Items
Some browser hijacker may also install login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs "Get rid of Junk Files" during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs "Get rid of Junk Files".
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select "Get rid of Junk Files" or any suspicious entries from the list and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by "Get rid of Junk Files". In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select "Get rid of Junk Files" or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with "Get rid of Junk Files".