Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware is a dangerous ransom virus which was made to encrypt and deny access to your own files. Just like other ransomware, this new threat will use high encryption techniques on certain files on the computer. It also changes file extensions to .firstname.lastname@example.org and demand payment before you can regain access and reverse these changes. It demands user to pay certain amount using various online payment web sites.
Normally, Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware virus attacks a computer with the help of another malware, Trojan, or virus. It find flaws on the system which it will utilized as an entry point so that the process is hidden to most antivirus programs. In fact, once Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware is inside the PC, it may disable any security function running on the target computer.
Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware virus looks for important files like documents, spreadsheet, images, music, and videos. New documents is then added which gives instructions to users on how to decrypt affected files. In addition, Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware may also block access to certain web sites especially security pages where you can download tools and utilities that are useful in cleaning the PC from threats. It also displays a wallpaper stating that your computer and files are compromised.
System Restore of Windows may help in resolving issues with viruses and malware. However, it will not settle problems with encrypted files. If your computer is running on Windows Vista/7 or later, perhaps ‘Previous Versions’ may help restore files from backup.
How to Remove Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
Though affected files may be impossible to decrypt due to complexity of the encryption, you can still try recovery method like Shadow Explorer or Previous Version as described below.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware virus and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware’s leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware virus entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Stage 3 : Unlocking files that were encrypted by email@example.com Ransomware
This is a generic decryption procedure using RakhniDecryptor for the following types:
1. Download Kaspersky RakhniDecryptor version 126.96.36.199 or higher from the link below and save the file to your hard drive.
RakhniDecryptor Download Link (this will open on a new window)
2. Extract the downloaded file to any preferred location.
3. Double-click on RakhniDecryptor.exe to run the tool.
4. Click on Start Scan button to begin the process of searching for firstname.lastname@example.org encrypted files.
5. RakhniDecryptor will prompt your to specify the path for encrypted files. Navigate to folder containing .email@example.com encrypted files. Select supported files types such as Word, Excel, Music, Image, and so on. Never choose Text file on the selection as it may cause errors during decryption process.
6. After selecting file types, click on Open button. RakhniDecryptor will scan the computer for files similar to ones your have chosen. Therefore, you may need to run a separate scan for different files types and extensions.
7. The tool will prompt you once scan and decryption has completed. Click on Details to view the scan results.
8. On Scan results screen, you will have the list of all files successfully decrypted by the tool. You may now close the program and manually delete encrypted files.
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware virus infection. To use this tool and recover files affected by the virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current encrypted files on the computer.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to Gerkaman@aol.com Ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export…
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.