GenerationUpdater for Mac is operating as a browser extension. As of this moment, it belongs to the category of potentially unwanted application (PUA) where the entire collection of variants is the source of security issues and browser annoyances. GenerationUpdater falls into the group of PUA due to the tactics being used by its owners to infiltrate the Mac computer. Primarily, GenerationUpdater installation on Mac computer is without the consent of users. It sneaks as part of freeware or shareware that was obtained from distrusted websites.
How GenerationUpdater infects the computer?
The method for deploying GenerationUpdater app requires third party installers such as freeware or shareware. In most infection cases, the PUA was able to sneak inside the Mac computer when a user installs such carriers. Apps like free games, utilities, media player, download manager, and similar are the usual thing where it is bundled particularly those that were obtained from questionable sources. Aside from GenerationUpdater, the malicious software bundle may install similar threats as DigitalRecord, HelperService, or WizardUpdate.
Bogus software update displaying as pop-up on the browser is also another means that attackers are utilizing to deploy GenerationUpdater. The pop-up claims to have identified serious browser issues due to obsolete application and demands users to download the software update. However, instead of the update, this misleading ads will install GenerationUpdater app in the browser.
Effects of GenerationUpdater App
Installation of the mentioned unwanted browser extension will put on a negative impact. GenerationUpdater is specifically targeting the search function of the browser and as such, it is going to replace the default search engine. It may also replace the current homepage to promote the custom search engine. With the current unreliable setup, Mac users online search is affected and they will never obtain the same accurate search results prior to the GenerationUpdater infection.
Aside from overriding the search settings, the adware inflicts browser annoyances by displaying excessive type of advertisements on the internet application. Unfortunately, the ads often seen as carrier of malware or adware that are poised to infect the Mac computer.
It is obvious that presence of GenerationUpdater app favors only the creators while Mac users will suffer heavily from its illicit doings. Therefore, removal of this unwanted browser extension is suggested. Please follow the guide below to get rid of GenerationUpdater including all associated threats and bundled apps.
Procedures to Remove GenerationUpdater from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like GenerationUpdater. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing GenerationUpdater.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete GenerationUpdater from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find GenerationUpdater or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag GenerationUpdater to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to GenerationUpdater
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located GenerationUpdater, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed GenerationUpdater
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Generation Updater Daemon
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing GenerationUpdater to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Generation Updater Daemon
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to GenerationUpdater adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including GenerationUpdater.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, GenerationUpdater is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove GenerationUpdater from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove GenerationUpdater from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing GenerationUpdater. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace GenerationUpdater settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by GenerationUpdater. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select GenerationUpdater or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with GenerationUpdater.