GamesCenter Search is a browser extension made specifically for Google Chrome browser. It claims to give user access to more than 1,000 free online games via new Tab. Upon installation, GamesCenter Search will change new tab and default search settings. The adware also adds some links on the home page and toolbar, which it state as useful.
With thorough study, it was discovered that GamesCenter Search is the source of excessive advertisements and browser redirect. In fact, this adware originates from PlayMediaCenter, known maker of several potentially unwanted programs.
GamesCenter Search issues contextual ads in various formats. It may show pop-up ads, banners, in-line, redirects, or full-page endorsements. The safety of these ads is still in question. There are reports that malware authors are exploiting this ad campaign to distribute malware or adware. Thus, be cautious when clicking links delivered by GamesCenter Search extension.
Removal of malicious program like GamesCenter Search may be complicated when done without proper tools and efficient scanners. Plug-ins, files, and registry entries are just some part of this adware that cannot come off right away during normal virus scan. Therefore, you are not fully removing GamesCenter Search through ordinary means. It may re-emerge once you restart the computer.
In order to remove GamesCenter Search together with other adware that comes with it, we have provided a simple guide on this page. We recommend the use of various malware scanners to delete all hidden adware entities that were dropped on different location of your computer.
How to Remove GamesCenter Search
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall GamesCenter Search
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove GamesCenter Search entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to GamesCenter Search. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted GamesCenter Search from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of GamesCenter Search on the affected browser.
Step 4: Remove GamesCenter Search from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove GamesCenter Search from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete GamesCenter Search by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of GamesCenter Search removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from GamesCenter Search. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down to bottom, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings button to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by GamesCenter Search. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also run Chrome Cleanup function from this page. An integrated tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.