FreeTheMedia Player may appear as an interesting tool for watching online videos. But most users didn’t know about this program is a nasty code that lies beneath its core files. Computer security vendors considered FreeTheMedia Player as some kind of potentially unwanted program due to its unexpected installation of various adware.
Apart from videos, FreeTheMedia Player is also endorsed as a tool to listen to online music content. As much as possible, people behind this program try to engage as many users into installing FreeTheMedia Player into their computer. The reason behind this spread is to generate profit as victims keeps using the program. Aside from loading bunch of unwanted software, FreeTheMedia Player also displays advertisements. Both intend to bring-in revenue.
Most computer users who are dealing with FreeTheMedia Player infection are unaware how it gets inside the computer. The truth is; this program is also an outcome of adware infection. FreeTheMedia Player is distributed as part of other malicious program that will install certain software into the system. It can get inside easily but removing or uninstalling the program is too complex. For this reason, we have provided a guide on this page to properly remove FreeTheMedia Player including all hidden files and registry entries.
After the removal of this unwanted program, be sure to keep the computer safe by installing anti-malware product that is effective in blocking similar attacks. Moreover, avoid downloading unknown and suspicious program that usually carries malware like FreeTheMedia Player.
Online Security Scanner Report for freethemediaplayer.com:
|No issues||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: April 15, 2016|
|Dangerous||Feedback: PUP||Updated: April 15, 2016|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: April 15, 2016|
How to Remove FreeTheMedia Player Adware from PC
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall FreeTheMedia Player
The main cause of adware and malware presence could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove FreeTheMedia Player entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to FreeTheMedia Player. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted FreeTheMedia Player from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of FreeTheMedia Player on the affected browser.
Procedures to Remove FreeTheMedia Player Adware from Mac
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to FreeTheMedia Player
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the procedure depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located FreeTheMedia Player, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed FreeTheMedia Player
1. Navigate to the location given below and move the item to the Trash.
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the FreeTheMedia Player to be present on your Mac.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including FreeTheMedia Player.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malawarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, FreeTheMedia Player is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.