Freepotato.fun is one unreliable website that aims on misleading the web users to get an access to their browser’s push notification. It is obvious that the individuals behind this domain are attempting to gain profit by misusing the web notification as an ad display window. Please remember that web notification area is the recent favorites of cyber scammers to show advertisements because it is not covered by most ad blocking software.
Freepotato.fun pop-up ads
The unintentional visit of internet users to this website is commonly triggered by the script that is running on the source website. This can be attributed to a visit to suspicious sites that are offering illegal downloads of media and software files. Almost all of these sites are implementing a series of redirects to a visitor’s browser that could land them on Freepotato.fun or similar malicious sites as News-pecasi.cc, Advnotmoney.com, and so on.
A prompt stating that “Freepotato.fun wants to show notification” will show up during the visit. Its desire to acquire the approval of the internet user is quite obvious. Since this pop-up message is a generic one, many web users deemed it safe to grant the authorization.
Because of web user’s carelessness in providing the permission to the mentioned request, the individuals who owned Freepotato.fun now gains an access to the push notification. Thus, they may be able to exploit the section for an ad display. Unfortunately, the advertisements are unusual as it often contains malicious links pointing to hazardous destination.
Getting rid of Freepotato.fun pop-up
It is really dangerous to access the pop-up ads coming from this domain. To avoid accidental clicks and further virus contamination, we recommend stopping the pop-up as soon as possible. Below are procedures to stop the Freepotato.fun pop-up. Follow the guide in exact order and do not skip the virus scan procedure to locate and eliminate malicious files that may be relevant to the Freepotato.fun pop-up.
|Initial pop-up goal||Prompting web user to Allow push notification. If granted, Freepotato.fun will use this feature to send aggressive pop-up ads.|
|Website purpose||To display different kinds of malicious ads on the browser using the push notification window of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Microsoft Edge.|
|Current IP address||220.127.116.11|
Freepotato.fun Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Quick Fix - Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with a powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of pop-up and redirect adware like Freepotato.fun through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file; please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like Freepotato.fun, click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete Freepotato.fun pop-ups and redirects, including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if you are comfortable manually getting rid of the threat and malicious items linked to it.
Step 1 : Get rid of Pop-ups (Notification)
Normally, Freepotato.fun pop-ups will start to bombard internet browser screen with pop-ups if web user was deceived to click “Allow” button that triggers the said website to send push notification. To stop Freepotato.fun from showing the pop-ups, please execute the procedures below.
Remove Freepotato.fun from Google Chrome
1. On Google Chrome browser, input the following in the address bar and press Enter:
2. Navigate to the list under "Allowed to send notifications" section and look for Freepotato.fun.
3. Click the ellipses (3 dots) beside Freepotato.fun list to reveal the options.
4. Click on Block or Remove to stop Freepotato.fun from displaying pop-up ads on Google Chrome browser.
5. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
Stop Freepotato.fun pop-up on Mozilla Firefox
1. On Mozilla Firefox browser, type the following in the address bar and press Enter key:
2. Navigate below to Permission area and look for Notifications.
3. Click the Settings button aligned with the Notifications.
4. Look for Freepotato.fun entry and change the Status to Block.
5. Click on Save Changes and restart Mozilla Firefox and check if Freepotato.fun pop-up is gone.
Remove Freepotato.fun from Safari (Mac)
1. On top menu, click on Safari and then, select Preferences from the drop-down list.
2. Click on Websites tab to open its settings.
3. Select Notifications from the left sidebar.
4. On right panel, it will display a list of websites with "Allow" attribute.
5. Find and click on Freepotato.fun.
6. You may choose to Deny or Remove it from the notification list.
7. You may now restart Safari browser and see if Freepotato.fun pop-up is gone.
Get rid of Freepotato.fun from Microsoft Edge
1. Assuming that Edge browser is open, click on the ellipses (3 dots) on upper right corner to open the Settings. Alternatively, you can press Alt + X on the keyboard.
2. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
3. Click on Advanced.
4. Under Website Permissions area, click on Manage Permissions button.
5. Find and select Freepotato.fun from the list. Click on X button to stop it from showing pop-up ads or notifications.
6. You may now restart Edge browser.
Step 2 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of codes causing Freepotato.fun to show up on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Freepotato.fun.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Freepotato.fun pop-ups.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Step 3 : Delete Suspicious Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs use an application called a "browser extension" to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend checking and removing the extension that is closely related to Freepotato.fun. If it is not present, look for and delete any suspicious browser extension.
Remove the suspicious Browser Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open your Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard.
3. Find Freepotato.fun or any relevant entry and remove it from the Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall the unwanted Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open the Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions from the sidebar menu.
4. Look for an object that pertains to Freepotato.fun and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that pop-ups and other troubles will be gone from the internet browser.
Remove the malicious Extension from Microsoft Windows and Edge Browser
1. On your keyboard, press Windows Key + R and then, type the appwiz.cpl command.
2. The Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in a chronological manner, with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on the 'Installed On' column.
3. Select suspicious or a recently installed unknown entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from the Windows system.
If Freepotato.fun is still present on the browser and there are still pop-ups and redirects, another option is to remove the adware from the browser settings.
4. Open the Microsoft Edge program.
5. Input edge://extensions/ in the URL bar and press Enter on the keyboard.
6. Look for and Remove or Disable unwanted entries from the Installed Extensions area. Additionally, delete the same object from the Search Providers section by executing the Hijacker Removal Procedure for Edge.
7. Close the window and restart Microsoft Edge.
Step 4 : Alternative Method to Clean Up Google Chrome from Freepotato.fun
Not all browser threats are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. In this instance, resetting the browser to its default configuration is the best solution. If Freepotato.fun is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to proceed with the Safety Check.
Use Chrome Safety Check to Delete Freepotato.fun
1. Open the Google Chrome application.
2. Type this string in the address box: chrome://settings/privacy and then, press Enter on the keyboard.
3. Go to Safety Check section and click on Check Now button.
4. Remove any suspicious extensions or sites that are extensively showing notifications.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find malicious websites and harmful software. If unable to delete Freepotato.fun, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. See more details on this page.