Homepage redirect adware like FireMovieSearch aims to dominate homepage and new tab of Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. It can accomplish this task with the help of a dubious software bundle that can be installed on the browser by means of pop-up ads and redirects. If FireMovieSearch successfully controlled the internet application, users may experience several annoyances like homepage hijacking and browser redirects. In addition, all search inquiries are redirected to Firemoviesearch.com that is an unknown and suspicious search provider.
How FireMovieSearch infects the browser?
Similar variants like MusicStreamSearches and CheckEmailsQuicker, this new version of adware also shares the same distribution method. Makers of FireMovieSearch bundles the code to several freeware and shareware for easy and fast deployment. Thus, downloading and installing questionable free software may land FireMovieSearch onto the browser without user’s knowledge. Due to this intrusive technique, some users deemed it as some kind of virus infection. But technically, FireMovieSearch is not as hazardous as computer viruses.
Unlike viruses, FireMovieSearch is not infectious. It will never contaminate any files and have no intention of infecting the operating system. The mere objective of this unwanted application is to dominate the browser program and override the preferences of computer users.
Risks of installing FireMovieSearch
The internet is full of browser hijackers and redirects because cyber crooks see it as one of the best money making venture. It can be profitable due to high demands on online advertising publisher and FireMovieSearch can offer most part of its homepage and search result pages as valuable ad placement. In addition, associated adware can collect various data that can be misuse or sold to third party advertising company.
Overall, we do not suggest utilizing FireMovieSearch if user needs safe and practical search engine. Instead of this tainted search tool, it is better to utilize trusted ones like Google, Bing, or Yahoo. Removing FireMovieSearch is also advisable to avoid any online privacy and security risks. As mentioned, FireMovieSearch exposes user’s online data to cyber crooks through its search function.
FireMovieSearch Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting browser hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete FireMovieSearch Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to FireMovieSearch.
Remove FireMovieSearch Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find FireMovieSearch or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall FireMovieSearch Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to FireMovieSearch and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that FireMovieSearch is also gone from the homepage.
Remove FireMovieSearch Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of FireMovieSearch from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete unwanted entry from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If FireMovieSearch is still present on the IE browser and there are still unwanted homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select FireMovieSearch or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove FireMovieSearch automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-virus tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like FireMovieSearch that slows down online browsing activities.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like FireMovieSearch.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to FireMovieSearch and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the FireMovieSearch browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of FireMovieSearch on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces hijacking, redirects, and pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by FireMovieSearch.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to FireMovieSearch. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with the hijacker.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by FireMovieSearch. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with FireMovieSearch. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from FireMovieSearch. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of FireMovieSearch.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed FireMovieSearch extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to FireMovieSearch. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. FireMovieSearch should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by FireMovieSearch and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.