FilmsZone Search is classed as doubtful Google Chrome extension because it is applying intrusive scheme to gain access on target system. Most of the time, this adware will arrive on the computer as part of software packages. The bad thing is, FilmsZone Search may not be the only malicious program included in the bundle. Other software from the same maker may also be installed on the computer even without seeking for user’s permission.
On its official website, FilmsZone Search is endorsed as browser extension that helps user find information when searching the web for images, movies, video clips, artists, and more. It also claims to enhance web search experience by providing precise information. However, in order to activate such feature, FilmsZone Search must configure homepage and default search provider. Once this is achieved, the adware can manipulate search outcome to display customized results along with bunch of advertisements that was made to look like valid search result links. As you can see, FilmsZone Search tries to deceive user to be able to drive internet traffic to partner’s website. It is through this scheme that adware makers are able to generate profit at the expense of user’s lack of caution.
It is necessary to scrutinize every freeware before you download and install them on the computer. This is the most effective way to avoid adware such as FilmsZone Search. Checking freeware includes scanning it with effective anti-malware tool to see if it was flagged malicious.
How to Remove FilmZone Search
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall FilmZone Search
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove FilmZone Search entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to FilmZone Search. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted FilmZone Search from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of FilmZone Search on the affected browser.
Step 4: Remove FilmZone Search from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove FilmZone Search from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete FilmZone Search by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of FilmZone Search removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from FilmZone Search. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down to bottom, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings button to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by FilmZone Search. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also run Chrome Cleanup function from this page. An integrated tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.