“FBI Criminal Investigation” is one malware from the class of ransomware. Cyber crook that made this scam pretend to be from authority, FBI in particular, to threaten computer users. They believe that doing this way is somehow easier to collect money from victims. “FBI Criminal Investigation” virus can be obtained if you do surfing on malicious website, or open an email attachment from unknown source. You can also acquire the malware from your PC’s weakness point which is seen by hackers so they can simply attack your system. “FBI Criminal Investigation” mostly attack system without strong security or not engaged to any defence software at all.
Fake warning will catch your attention saying “FBI Criminal Investigation. TextView US Prohibited content. This device is locked due to violation of the federal laws of the United States of America.”
Your device is locked and can be granted an access only if you pay the fine for the accused violation. You are given certain period to give the demand or else you will be facing more legal consequences. Since this is a ransomware and you are assured that everything is a work of fraud, you have to ignore all these lies.
Remember that no one from real officials use the screen lockers protocol in order to inform a person for any violation he made and asking to pay the fine as a release. Only cyber criminal can do this unfair share and have this one of a kind procedure.
To set you free from any worries and trouble cause by “FBI Criminal Investigation” lock screen, it is vital to run security scan on the computer.
How to Remove “FBI Criminal Investigation” Ransomware
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove “FBI Criminal Investigation” virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
Though affected files may be impossible to decrypt due to complexity of the encryption, you can still try recovery method like Shadow Explorer or Previous Version as described below.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds “FBI Criminal Investigation” and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for “FBI Criminal Investigation”‘ leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for “FBI Criminal Investigation”. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all “FBI Criminal Investigation” entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that “FBI Criminal Investigation” have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.