EZ-Content is a Google Chrome extension that emerges from adware family. It is endorsed as a useful tool that enhances online experience of web users. EZ-Content claims to hide all annoying advertisements from web pages. However, the program itself is a known ad-supporting platform. Therefore, it can stop third-party ads but not the ones coming from its own inventory.
Most potentially unwanted program like EZ-Content gets inside the computer in deceiving ways. It is commonly enclose to freeware, shareware, and dubious third party applications. This software bundling scheme is proven effective in distributing adware. Therefore, it is the much-utilized method in propagating EZ-Content. Pop-ups ads and browser redirect is another routine by adware makers to spread their creation. In this case, EZ-Content is promoted as worthy application needed by the browser. By applying great misleading technique, attacker can be able to persuade users to download and install the advertised program.
Once installed on the computer, EZ-Content integrates browser extension that intends to manipulate Google Chrome browser. Users may experience a number of irregularities on internet application like excessive display of ads, redirects, and pop-ups. At this point, users will end up looking for ways to remove EZ-Content. Thus, we made a simple guide on this page that is helpful in getting rid of the adware. Scan the computer with suggested anti-virus and anti-malware tools to instantly find and remove malicious objects associated to EZ-Content.
How to Remove EZ-Content
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Remove EZ-Content from Google Chrome
We are presenting various options to remove EZ-Content from Google Chrome browser using only internal functions and approach. Most of browser annoyances can be fixed via these processes. If EZ-Content persists after executing these steps, it is better to run anti-malware scan as suggested below.
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove EZ-Content from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete EZ-Content by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of EZ-Content removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from EZ-Content. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar, please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by EZ-Content. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data.
Option 3 – Use Google Chrome Clean Up Feature
1. On Google Chrome address bar, input this string: chrome://settings/cleanup and then press Enter on keyboard.
2. Click Find button to start scanning the computer.
Step 2 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall EZ-Content
The main cause of homepage hijacking and browser redirect could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove EZ-Content entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 3 : Scan the computer with MBAM Tool
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to EZ-Content.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including EZ-Content and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
Step 4 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to EZ-Content. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Post Last Modified On October 14, 2020