DiscoveryUnit is a Mac application that works on browser programs like Safari, Google Chrome, or Firefox. Unfortunately, this one is not recommendable to install. Basing from the looks of its icon, we can clearly see its resemblance to other potentially unwanted applications like AccessibilityDock and Convuster. DiscoveryUnit is certainly part of this adware family that is endorse as improvement tool for internet programs. The reason why these apps were barred from the list of upright browser extension is its use of force in order to gain access on Mac computer.
Installation of DiscoveryUnit
The use of software bundling hoax is the top most contributor for the widespread campaign of DiscoveryUnit app. There are already a number of freeware and shareware that are now actively hosted on different online platforms like file-sharing websites, torrent portals, and cracked software sites. Majority of these freeware now holds DiscoveryUnit or any suspicious app on that matter. Installing the free app on Mac computer yields to installation of the embedded potentially unwanted application (PUA) like DiscoveryUnit. Unfortunately, the setup process is discreet. Mac users are totally ignorant on this intrusion and therefore, they have no time to react on blocking the entry of this adware.
Other ways that attackers are using to deploy DiscoveryUnit includes cracked software where it is embedded too and malicious advertisements that usually in disguise as crucial software update.
The effects of DiscoveryUnit
After successful installation of DiscoveryUnit on Mac computer and when it is active, users may experience changes on the browser operation. For one, there will be unwanted modification on search settings where this adware appoints a new search provider. In addition, unusual pop-ups and redirects persistently appear on the internet program that intends to influence web user to visit other malicious sites. Thus, the affected internet software may display a warning that “DiscoveryUnit will damage your computer.”
As PUA, DiscoveryUnit app is capable of tracking web browsing data and logs sensitive information including username, passwords, contact details, and IP address. Clearly, having DiscoveryUnit app on the computer can lead to privacy theft and therefore, immediate removal of this adware is recommended.
How to secure Mac from DiscoveryUnit adware?
When talking of computer security, nothing beats the protection that can be drawn from having an effective anti-virus software. Aside from regular updates, these security apps provide technical supports for their clients. The real-time scanning guards Mac computer from malicious internet traffics and therefore, downloading of adware or malware is often thwarted. Moreover, anti-virus programs were designed to block execution of any dubious files locally so even if the sources of threats are removable drives and discs, it will initiate fully on the protected computer.
Procedures to Remove DiscoveryUnit from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like DiscoveryUnit. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing DiscoveryUnit.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete DiscoveryUnit from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find DiscoveryUnit or any unwanted program.
4. Drag DiscoveryUnit to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to DiscoveryUnit
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located DiscoveryUnit, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed DiscoveryUnit
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Discovery Unit Daemon
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing DiscoveryUnit to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Discovery Unit Daemon
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to DiscoveryUnit adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including DiscoveryUnit.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, DiscoveryUnit is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove DiscoveryUnit from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove DiscoveryUnit from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing DiscoveryUnit. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace DiscoveryUnit settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by DiscoveryUnit. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select DiscoveryUnit or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with DiscoveryUnit.