If a warning stating “Disable developer mode extensions” pop-ups while you are using Google Chrome browser, it denotes that malicious extension is running on the computer. This warning from Chrome aims to protect computer users against malicious extension that are installed on the browser. A number unwanted browser extensions are usually not listed under Chrome Store Extensions due to some program policy violations.
In order to install extensions on Chrome browser, user must download the app from Google Chrome Store. Other than that, extension can be loaded locally or from third-party websites but the browser may have to be set to “Developer Mode” to accomplish this. Thus, Google Chrome will label this as developer mode extension that also causes the said warning to pop-up.
Unwanted extensions are not listed under Chrome Web Store maybe because it contains harmful or malicious behavior. Applications that cause too many annoyances to user like injecting advertisements and excessive pop-ups are forbidden. Therefore, makers of such extensions are using various illegal ways to load their product onto Google Chrome browser in stealthy and forcible manner. Using adware or malware that changes browser configuration are common on this type of attack.
When “Disable developer mode extensions” pops-ups on the browser, we highly suggest closing all open window. Then, disconnect your Internet connection and run a virus scan immediately. You may also want to block the web address where the pop-up originates so it will not have any chance of bothering you again. The full message you will see on the screen contains the text “Disable developer mode extensions. Extensions running in developer mode can harm your computer. If you’re not a developer, you should disable these extensions running in developer mode to stay safe.”
Google Chrome browser aims to combat such irregularities by prompting “Disable developer mode extensions” when it sense the danger. Thus, you should not ignore this warning. Stop the pop-up by simply clicking on the DISABLE button. If this method doesn’t fully stop the pop-up, you can proceed with the guide below.
How to Stop “Disable developer mode extensions”
Stage 1: Remove Rootkit and Virus from the Computer
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit as well as malware that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link provided. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
– Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, double-click the file to install the program on the computer. It will update the database once installations has finished. Internet connection is required at this point.
3. After downloading necessary updates, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
4. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
– Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to “Disable developer mode extensions”. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 3: Remove Adware Add-on linked to “Disable developer mode extensions” and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted “Disable developer mode extensions” from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (this will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of “Disable developer mode extensions” on the affected browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with “Disable developer mode extensions”. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from “Disable developer mode extensions”. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. Click on the Menu (three-bar icon) located on the upper right side corner of the browser.
3. From the pull-down menu, click on Settings.
4. Once your are on chrome://settings/ tab, click on ‘Advanced‘ at the bottom of the window.
5. Navigate to the bottom of the page and click on Reset settings to their original defaults button.
6. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed “Disable developer mode extensions” extension.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to “Disable developer mode extensions”.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tuneup. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. “Disable developer mode extensions” should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by “Disable developer mode extensions” and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.