Direct.dexum.org is a browser redirect that can forward the browser pages to different malicious websites. It was noted that Direct.dexum.org is also involved in the distribution of questionable applications including rogue anti-virus tools and ineffective system optimizer. Computer users may begin to see Direct.dexum.org once they installed an associated adware called EQSearch.
More about Direct.dexum.org
The domain Direct.dexum.org is controlled by a group of cyber offenders that are aiming to dominate the internet browser application. Thus, web users are often forced to visit web pages that emit the installation of certain potentially unwanted program (PUP), which supports Direct.dexum.org redirects. Other means to infect the browser application also includes the deployment of carriers like malicious software installers including freeware, shareware, and cracked programs.
Online advertisements are likewise being exploited by cyber crooks to promote Direct.dexum.org. Some pop-up advertisements are masquerading as system alert claiming to have identified obsolete versions of Google Chrome, Adobe Flash, or Media Player. Then, it prompts for the download and installation of software update that will eventually install an adware associated to Direct.dexum.org.
What to do next?
If internet browser application keeps on redirecting to Direct.dexum.org, there is a higher chance of additional adware or malware infection. Aside from that, presence of adware on the computer often ends up on identity theft because the majority of adware are equipped with tracking modules and it can log information like search keywords, favorite websites, visited pages, username, password, and contact details. Thus, it is important to avoid these illegal data gathering by immediately removing Direct.dexum.org from the internet browser. We have a guide on this page that discusses straightforward removal of adware and that includes Direct.dexum.org redirects. Please see the next section fro complete procedures. As stated, it is important to scan the computer with effective virus and malware removal tools to ensure cleanliness of the system.
Online Security Scanner Report for Direct.dexum.org
|Online Scanner||Scan Findings||Updated on||Google Safe Browsing||No unsafe content found||Nov. 10, 2020|
|Norton Safe Web||Not Yet Rated||Nov. 10, 2020|
|Sucuri SiteCheck||Medium Security Risk||Nov. 10, 2020|
Direct.dexum.org Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting browser hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete Direct.dexum.org Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Direct.dexum.org.
Remove Direct.dexum.org Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Direct.dexum.org or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall Direct.dexum.org Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Direct.dexum.org and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that Direct.dexum.org is also gone from the homepage.
Remove Direct.dexum.org Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Direct.dexum.org from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete unwanted entry from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Direct.dexum.org is still present on the IE browser and there are still unwanted homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select Direct.dexum.org or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove Direct.dexum.org automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-virus tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like Direct.dexum.org that slows down online browsing activities.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Direct.dexum.org.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Direct.dexum.org and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the Direct.dexum.org browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Direct.dexum.org on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces hijacking, redirects, and pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Direct.dexum.org.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Direct.dexum.org. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with the hijacker.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by Direct.dexum.org. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Direct.dexum.org. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Direct.dexum.org. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of Direct.dexum.org.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Direct.dexum.org extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Direct.dexum.org. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Direct.dexum.org should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Direct.dexum.org and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.