A new ransomware that was dubbed Deniz_Kizi was discovered by malware researcher Cyber_Sloth. Obviously, the name was derived from the extension that it appends on every encrypted file which is .Deniz_Kizi. Therefore, a word.doc file will transform into word.doc.Deniz_Kizi after it was infected by this ransom virus.
Normally, vulnerable computer users may accidentally acquire this harmful code from spam email messages sent by attackers to random recipients. In addition to this mass-mailing scheme, malicious advertising campaign is also observed as another channel in deploying Deniz_Kizi ransomware.
Once executed on the computer, this virus acts instantly to lock majority of user’s files. Then, it appends the data with .Deniz_Kizi file extension. Both actions make the files inoperable and any attempt of victim to alter the file may cause complete damage. In the final phase of the attack, Deniz_Kizi generates a ransom note Please Read Me!!!.hta, which contains full instructions on how users may be able to recover encrypted data. Here is an excerpt from the ransom note:
FILES ARE ENCRYPTED
Hello! All your documents, photos, databases and other important files are encrypted! Do you really want to restore your files? If you want to unlock your data, you need to but special decoding software! Write to our email – yardimail aol com. If you do not receive a reply within 24 hours, write to our additional email address – yardimail2 aol com. We’ll send you a complete instruction on how to decrypt all your files.
First of all, your files are not damaged! Your files have been modified with the TR1224 double encryption algorithm. This change is reversible. The only way to decrypt your files is to purchase the decipher tool that is special to you. Any attempt to irreversibly corrupt your files, and attempting to restore them with third-party software will be fatal to your files…
How to Remove Deniz_Kizi Ransomware
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove Deniz_Kizi virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
Though affected files may be impossible to decrypt due to complexity of the encryption, you can still try recovery method like alternative tool, Shadow Explorer or Previous Version as described below.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Anti-Malware Tool
1. Download free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Carry out the installation with default setup process.
4. After the installation process, click the Get Started button to launch the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On the main console, click on Scan to run most complete detection method to find hidden objects associated to Deniz_Kizi ransomware.
7. Scanning may take a while. Please wait until the anti-malware tool is done with the checking.
8. Once the scan has completed, the tool will display the list of detected threats. Remove all identified malicious items and restart the computer if necessary.
Stage 2: Double-check for Deniz_Kizi’s leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for Deniz_Kizi ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all Deniz_Kizi ransom virus entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that Deniz_Kizi ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Stage 3 : Unlocking files with Deniz_Kizi Decryption Tool
Tools that may decrypt files infected by Deniz_Kizi is not yet available at this time. We will update this section once the tool is on hand. In the meantime, please try the options below.
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to Deniz_Kizi ransomware infection. To use this tool and recover files affected by the virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current encrypted files on the computer.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by Deniz_Kizi Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by Deniz_Kizi ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to Deniz_Kizi ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export…
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.