Users of Macs can soon come across an adware program called DefaultSection. This recently published dangerous browser extension is actively being used online, and its creators appear to be using many techniques. Software packages are one way that the DefaultSection program may spread quickly to Mac computers. Even still, a lot of Mac users are unaware that the majority of freeware programs serve as the primary distribution channel for potentially unwanted applications (PUAs) like DefaultSection.
How it enters the Mac?
It is true that DefaultSection handlers embed code into setup files for specific free programs, causing the adware to run at the same time as the free program is installed on a Mac. When diagnostics were done on other adware, the infiltration by this method was discovered and confirmed as TripleChop, StrategySeek, and FreeChannel. We can thus establish that the malware family that was created to infect Mac systems includes the DefaultSection software.
In addition to using the injection technique employed by freeware and shareware, DefaultSection also spreads through malicious advertisements that dubious websites display. When accessing websites that are involved in the unlawful ownership of copyrighted products including pirated software, video, music, photos, etc., web surfers may come across such deceptive adverts selling the DefaultSection program. The deceptive pop-up advertisements frequently suggest downloading a software update to remedy issues that the operating system has found. A pop-up that appears while a web user is illegitimately watching video streaming typically poses as a media player, that is fundamentally necessary to watch the material.
Getting rid of DefaultSection adware
The DefaultSection program is typically installed without the Mac user fully understanding it. As previously noted, the creators of this PUA are using a variety of deceptive strategies to entice users to download and install DefaultSection while disguising it as a legitimate app or an essential software update (see image above). It was referred to be an unwelcome application as a result. DefaultSection was included to the list of Adware that has to be removed right away by Mac security specialists due to the fact that it was created to display adverts for revenue-generating purposes. In some cases, the system may warn users that DefaultSection Daemon could harm their computers.
Please refer to the next section for a comprehensive approach on removing the threat. Also included in this guide by Malwarefixes are Mac malware and virus removal solutions that may successfully remove even obscured dangerous components linked to the DefaultSection adware.
Procedures to Remove DefaultSection from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like DefaultSection. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing DefaultSection.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete DefaultSection from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find DefaultSection or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag DefaultSection to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to DefaultSection
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located DefaultSection, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed DefaultSection
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- DefaultSection App
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing DefaultSection to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- DefaultSection App
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to DefaultSection adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including DefaultSection.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, DefaultSection is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove DefaultSection from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove DefaultSection from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing DefaultSection. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace DefaultSection settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by DefaultSection. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select DefaultSection or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with DefaultSection.